Horchata And Horehound? What Do They Taste Like?

Decorating By CarrieBear Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm by Rylan

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 14

excuse me if this sounds ignorant,
these are 2 flavors that I have seen in Lorann oils and extracts.
I dont know what they are or what they taste like?
can any one give opinions on them?
thanks!

-carrie

13 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 14

Horchata is a Mexican drink, made with rice, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon. Some people think it soothes an upset stomach, or helps with hangovers. I've even seen horchata pedialyte (you know, that drink you give babies when they have the runs). They sell horchata drinks in the dairy case here, and also the powdered drink mixes.

This is what wikipedia says about horehound: The flavor can be described best perhaps, as an almost berry flavored rootbeer. To some it might be an acquired taste. Horehound flavored stick candy, as well as candy "drops" (used as throat lozenges) can be found and purchased at various locations.
White Horehound has long been noted for its efficacy in lung troubles and coughs.

I've tasted horehound before but I just remember it as something that I didn't like that one of my older relatives was trying to talk me into eating icon_biggrin.gif

CarrieBear Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 14

thanks for the info

thumbs_up.gif

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 14

When I tasted horehound it reminded me of black licorice. Ick.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 14

Horchata is delicious! It's my favorite Mexican drink, they also call it rise water (agua de arroz). It's super good and yummy and sweet..hmm... I want some now! Whenever I'm out eating tacos or any Mexican food this is what I order. (I'm Mexican by the way!)

Horebound sound so weird....not even appetizing lol. Even though horchata is delicious I can't imagine baking an Horchata flavored cake...maybe for a buttercream, who knows!

I think I will try to find some horchata now! icon_biggrin.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 14

Horehound is an oooooold remedy for coughs and is a member of the mint family - my grandfather liked the taste and kept horehound hard candy around the house (he was born in 1890, BTW, and died over 40 years ago). It must be an acquired taste - cross between licorice and root beer, not minty at all - ICK!! The candy was root beer colored, too - dark brown.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 14

I'm 41 and I grew up with horehound candy. It was a favorite of my dad's... a huge treat from the penny candy counter during his childhood in the late 20s. You can often find it at sweet shops and occasionally in the hard candy at the grocery or drug store. I have to admit, I love the stuff.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 14

Horehound is a medical herb- actually considered very effective and safe even for children. One of it's uses was as an expectorant and clearing sinus headaches, etc. The tea is very bitter, but the candy and molasses sweetened syrups were acceptable to most people. I don't particularly like it, but I don't think it is horrible either. I wonder if it actually works for getting rid of headaches? I would rather suck on a horehound drop to taking sinus meds. Definitely cheaper.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 14

You can have a very light idea of the taste (for horchata) if you've tasted rice pudding, it's rice, sugar,milk and cinnamon, it's sooooooooo delicious!!!!!!

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 14

Horchata is pretty good....kind of like a mild cinnamon milk. But personally, I think horehound is disgusting! It's a hard type candy from very long ago.... I always thought they had to be pretty desperate to think it was candy! thumbsdown.gif JMO

CarrieBear Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:53pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

You can have a very light idea of the taste (for horchata) if you've tasted rice pudding, it's rice, sugar,milk and cinnamon, it's sooooooooo delicious!!!!!!

that sounds sooo good! I want to try it now! icon_biggrin.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:41am
post #12 of 14

i don't know about the first one but horhound i got in candy was awful

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #13 of 14

Well, I haven't tasted horehound and I think I won't do it ever, I hate licorice and can't stand root beer or Dr. Pepper, it's like eating cheap toothpaste! IMO shhh.gifshhh.gifshhh.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm
post #14 of 14

I had horchata before and I have to admit that I had to throw the whole thing away. I still need to try some good horchatas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%