How Do I Make Moss?

Decorating By karateka Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 2:47am by warmshade

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 13

Or a moss like substance? I need something to go with my sea flowers and the stuff in the picture looks like moss and I'm at a loss. (and making bad rhymes.) The sea flowers are gumpaste, so I need something more realistic looking.... icon_confused.gif

Thanks in advance!

12 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 13

what about something similar to sponge painting on bc? if the bc in the moss area was thicker, more uneven and not totally crusted (still slightly tacky) you could probably take a paper towel and touch it to the surface and pull it up over and over to give it the right look i think. if you started with a mossy green bc you could probably either add color to your paper towel (darker green, yellowish, etc) and transfer the color as you dab the bc or go through afterward and try to color it just to give it more depth.

i hope this makes sense...

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 13

You could try running (green varigated) fondant through a garlic press. I did that for a lions mane. You would just need to manipulate the ends to make a gathering of moss. Does that make sense?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 13

Color some shreaded coconut.

karateka Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 13

I forgot to mention that this is a dummy for a show. I'm using fondant, so the sponge painted buttercream won't work for me now. However, I'm going to file that for the next buttercream nature-y cake I have! Thanks!

I'll give the garlic pressed fondant a try and see how that goes. I hadn't thought of that.

Jokerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jokerz Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 13

Duff on the Ace of Cakes uses a method he calls flocking (sp?). He pours colored RI in a thin layer on a pan or table. After it is dried he uses a large putty knife or cake lifter to scrape it up and chop it into little tiny bits. I'm not sure how he attaches it. Perhaps with BC or RI then sprinkling it on. He used it on his Harry Potter cake and I think the Kung Fu Panda cake. HTH icon_smile.gif

karateka Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerz

Duff on the Ace of Cakes uses a method he calls flocking (sp?). He pours colored RI in a thin layer on a pan or table. After it is dried he uses a large putty knife or cake lifter to scrape it up and chop it into little tiny bits. I'm not sure how he attaches it. Perhaps with BC or RI then sprinkling it on. He used it on his Harry Potter cake and I think the Kung Fu Panda cake. HTH icon_smile.gif

Another good thought, thanks!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:02am
post #8 of 13

Go with Duff's flocking technique - he attaches it with RI

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:15am
post #9 of 13

How about crushed cornflakes mixed with melted marshmallow?

Look at the picture I posted. It was one side of my gingerbread house. The trees (the small and tall onese) can look like moss if you tweak it a bit.

Btw, excuse my tacky gumpaste bows. It was my first time using gumpaste and before CC.
LL

Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:19am
post #10 of 13

Here is another picture. Try enlarging it to see it better.
LL

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 13

Love the cornflakes and marshmallow. RylanTy! You can also push fondant through a strainer for interesting texture that is a little finer than a garlic press. Moosh it through until it is as long as you need, then cut it off with a sharp blade and apply.

Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks ibmoser. Oh and yes, the strainer thing works great. I've tried it.

warmshade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warmshade Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:47am
post #13 of 13

If you role out small jagged shapes of dark fern green tinted fondant, take your decorating bag tip 193(Wilton). Hold it on your finger like a thimble. and repeatedly squish it into the fondant. This will not only puncture the fondant but it will also stretch it giving it a more natural texture. After you complete this step, you need to add color dust in either brown or a lighter natural green.
I recommend doing this its on the flat surface, I did this one my dragon after I had placed the moss and the luster dust I had used fell further past the moss onto the cake. (Link below)
You can tear the "moss" for an earthier look or place the whole piece depending on the size of what you need. Dampen the cake to adhere the "moss" and your ready to go.
Good Luck, Hope all goes well thumbs_up.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1385830&sub=1401149

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%