Fondant American Flag- Tutorial Or Tips Plz

Decorating By Cake4ever Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 5:54am by CakeDiosa

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:41am
post #1 of 12

I'd like to give the stars and stripes a go for 4th of July.

Can someone tell me how to make the flag? I do not have an airbrush, so it will have to be with red and blue fondant etc.

usaribbon.gificon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:51am
post #2 of 12

Someone posted a Youtube video not long ago that had that exact thing - I'll have a look for it.

Type 'flag fondant' into youtube and it has a tutorial.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 12
Cake4ever Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you so very much!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 12

Wow! That was nice, but I just taped off the section I was gonna airbrush blue (to prevent the "strpied part from being painted), covered the 'striped" section with plastic wrap and airbrushed. Flipped the plastic over to the blue side to cover it and airbrushed my already taped off section red. Then I draped the flag over the cake. Done. The pic is posted as "retirement cake" or "Todd" in my photos.

Cake4ever Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you for replying. thumbs_up.gif Sadly, I do not have an airbrush. It's on my list of cool stuff to buy. icon_wink.gif

I'll go check out your cake, it sounds great.

I did watch the youtube one and I think it's a bit basic, but a good place to start. I see all of the beautiful flag cakes and I hope and think I can give it a go, but it's because they make it look so good! icon_biggrin.gif

Tita9499 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 12

Sorry, I misread. I thought you said you did have one! My bad. Then the video is the way to go.

Cake4ever Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:15am
post #8 of 12

I've been looking through the gallery and I really love the look of the airbrushed stripes because they are shiny, but I've seen some very pretty ones as well that are strips of red fondant. They must be pretty thin because at first you really can't tell unless you're looking for it.

Your stripes look so good. One day, I'll have that cool gadget to play with. thumbs_up.gif

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:22am
post #9 of 12

There is a Canadian flag in my photos - much simpler I know - but the same method would work.

I printed off a template the size of the cake, covered the cake in white fondant then used the template to cut the red parts and stuck them on top. Only thing I would do differently with a US flag is to cut the stars out of the blue with a cutter so the white shows through.

By the way I used the pre-coloured red fondant and it came out quite shiney.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #10 of 12

Tita9499 - your flag is beautiful. What did you use to mask off the stripes? I just tried twice to do that, but both types of tape just lifted right off the fondant when I airbrushed it icon_redface.gif I used regular masking and the blue "repositionable" tape.

Tita9499 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #11 of 12

Thanks ibmoser! I used regular old masking tape for the stripes. I made sure I brushed off all the excess cornstarch before I tried to tape and it held up pretty well. I have another cake with a fondant flag for this weekend so hopefully it goes as smoothly as the first one did.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:54am
post #12 of 12

I did a fondant flag for memorial day. I really wanted it to be "correct" with the correct number of stars and stripes but given the size of my cake I couldn't do that.

Here's how I did it: rolled out white fondant and cut to the size of your flag. Then lay a blue square (needs to be a bit longer than it is tall) and put your stars on that (I had to use a flower cutter and remove one petal since I didn't have a star cutter that small). Just make sure your stripes at the top of the flag, the bottom of the flag and the first stripe below the blue area are the correct colors per the flag. Mine are. Also don't forget a larger white border on the lefrt and add some stitching to that. If you have time, makes some gromets (I didn't).

If you want the fondant shiny then brush off your cornstarch and rub in some shortening or spray with Pam (Pam gets it really shiny).

PM if I can help further!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%