Edible Image Cracked On Dry Cookies!

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 11:35am by splymale

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #1 of 5

I am sooooooo mad!

I put my husband's company's logo on cookies for his one year anniversary, and today when I went to package them up I noticed that all of them had cracks in about 4 different places on each cookie. I used frosting sheets on RI. What is going on? They look like crap. Do I need to use the edible paper or wafer paper? What happens if I use buttercream instead of RI? Since it doesn't dry as hard. Help please?

4 replies
cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 5

How did you put them on?

I've only done them a couple of times but when I did, I put them on my flooded cookie when it was still wet. The image really bonded well for me this way.

I used images that were purchased from Pfeil & Holing which I believe carries Luck's brand. I know they come in a foil pack and they stress on the outside of the package to seal it when not in use because they are fragile.

Maybe someone else can chime in, especially those that print their own.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 5

I've only made these once... last week. I made business card sugar cookies. Covered this with glace icing then printed the edible images on frosting sheets from Kopy Kake. They looked great. BUT I put royal icing borders around the edges and they were a disaster. Broke off when they dried. I've seen RI borders on the ones online but mine didn't work.

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 5

I got my frosting sheets from Tasty Foto Art. They were very pliable when I printed the images and also when I cut them and put them on the wet RI. I know if they dry out they will get brittle, but when I was using them they were very soft.

After I flooded the cookie with the RI I just layed the image on the icing and let it dry overnight.

I just don't know why it did this.

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:35am
post #5 of 5

What has worked for me is letting the RI dry completely, then applying the EI with brushed on vodka. I got this tip from someone on thei site. It went on nicely. I still haven't figured out how to dry them completely for shipping, though.
Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%