Meringue Powder Choices

Baking By Amifsud Updated 7 Feb 2014 , 2:15am by Lyn221

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #31 of 39

Thanks Amifsud for the info on the lemon emulsion. I'm definitely going to give that a try, as I'm a fan of anything lemon icon_smile.gif
As far as meringue powder, I'd love to try the McCall's MP that Antonia74 uses. I haven't been able to track down an internet source to order from. So far I've only seen a link for the McCall's store in Toronto, but there is no ordering option. I sent them an e-mail today and will let you know what the response is.
The different natural flavorings sound interesting. I think I'll order a few things from the link Tracy provided (Thanks, Tracy thumbs_up.gif ) and try them out. Sometimes I hesitate to try new things because I don't want to flop a recipe with the time and ingredients invested but I realize that it's the only way to improve or change things up. Thank you all for sharing your ideas icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles13

As far as meringue powder, I'd love to try the McCall's MP that Antonia74 uses. I haven't been able to track down an internet source to order from. So far I've only seen a link for the McCall's store in Toronto, but there is no ordering option. I sent them an e-mail today and will let you know what the response is.
icon_smile.gif

I also tried to contact them - I haven't heard back yet and the only shipping options on their website were in Canada. Please do let us know if you hear back about shipping the product to the US.

decadentcookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decadentcookie Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:47pm
post #33 of 39

For those of you in the Toronto area, I have been using Mccalls meringue powder but for some reason decided to purchase Gumperts Hy Vol meringue powder (sold at L&M Bakers Supply and some other places). it really makes a lot of RI but I find it's not drying hard and shiny like my RI used to. does anyone have any experience with this or any ideas for what can make the icing hard and shiny?

dizzydev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dizzydev Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 6:28pm
post #34 of 39

Originally posted by Amilsud:

Monday I ordered a meringue powder from Country Kitchen Sweet Art. I should have it tomorrow and Iwill check it out on the weekend I will let you know how it goes. Someone in the forum posted about adding lemon juice to the merinque powder and ever since I have been doing that it made a big difference in the taste and smell. I have been using lemon emulsion instead. I really like it.

How much of the lemon juice do you add?  I am searching for a RI recipe that tastes good.  Thanks...

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 7:16pm
post #35 of 39

AIs there something else to use besides lemon juice? I have a friend who is allergic to cooked citrus (which means no lemon or orange cookies). I don't have access to powdered egg whites locally anymore (unless I want to drive 45minutes to buy the nasty Wilton kind), so I just use pasteurized egg whites with cream of tartar and it seems to work okay.

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 12:11pm
post #36 of 39

So far I've only tried Wilton's Merignue Powder, I haven't seen it anywhere else.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 4:38pm
post #37 of 39

Locally, I can only get Wilton but I have to have a lot of stuff shipped in.  Next time I need M. powder, I'm going to use one of these after doing a bit more research.  I want to find out what brands are the same.  For example, I believe the CK bags are Henry & Henry.

Chefmaster

Ateco

CK products

Americolor

Henry & Henry

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 6:10pm
post #38 of 39

Isn't the meringue powder just dried egg whites with cream of tartar and possibly a touch of powdered sugar? The nice part of powder is you can store it and have on hand when you need.  I get meringue powder at the bulk food supply places, or Wilton's or through cake supply places.  I find they all smell a bit strange when you start off-- like another poster I always add real vanilla or another flavour--love Loranne extracts.  Much better taste than just plain meringue.

I use to use and still will if no powder around the egg whites, cream of tartar and sugar recipes.  More messy but works fine and is stronger for string work.  

Lyn221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyn221 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 2:15am
post #39 of 39

I do not like the Wilton meringue powder...it smells like rotten eggs to me ! It also leaves an after taste,  So several months ago, I searched to see what the "experienced" cookie decorators were using. I found two brands, Ateco and William Sonoma's Meringue powders. First,  I purchased Ateco, which I love. It is very tasty even without any flavoring. For a more richer, fuller meringue...which is lovely tasting also without the flavoring and heavenly with flavoring, I use William Sonoma's Meringue powder. I purchase the Ateco online from Amazon. William Sonoma's can be purchased at their local retail store. I like these two meringue powders so much better than Wilton's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%