Gumpaste Recipe For Roses

Decorating By chedaw Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 11:45am by Rylan

chedaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chedaw Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 10

The gumpaste I have been buying is not very economical for me as I have to cut away dried/hard edges before kneading it. Is there a tried and true gumpaste recipe I can make myself that will give me roses like this:

Well, I know I have to model them and the gumpaste won't do it for me, but you know what I mean icon_smile.gif

9 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 10

I use Nick Lodge's recipe.

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:45am
post #3 of 10

People tell me they love Lodge's recipe but I prefer using a mixture of Wilton fondant and Satin Ice gumpaste.

Good luck.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #4 of 10

I love marshmallow fondant 1 bag of minature mm's 1 bag of conf, 2 teaspoons water for the marshmallows nuke 30 sec at a time until smooths, watch the size of the mm bag, i use the 10oz. i've never had a problem with this recipe, just remember to grease your surface and your hands with crisco, and during mixing, before you wrap it put crisco on. just remember crisco crisco, hope you like it.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:22am
post #5 of 10

Nicholas Lodge recipe for me! Love the stuff, nice and white and real easy to work with!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:48am
post #6 of 10

I just tried Nicholas Lodge's recipe and it's great. It's easy to make and easy to work. It also doesn't stink like the Wilton gumpaste I've made in the past. I was dreading doing anything with gumpaste because the smell always gives me a headache...but this one doesn't smell.

Here's some of the stuff I've been making with it the last couple of days. It dries fast enough to make some pretty big roses without waiting days for them to dry enough to put the next set of petals on (which is good because I am an impatient kind of person sometimes icon_biggrin.gif )
LL

chedaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chedaw Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:28am
post #7 of 10

OOhh, thankyou. Have bookmarked the recipe. i don't have a mixer with a paddle. icon_cry.gif Can i use an ordinary mixer or will I have to mix by hand thumbsdown.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 10

i'm going to try that receipe, i like the look of your flowers better. Thanks

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chedaw

OOhh, thankyou. Have bookmarked the recipe. i don't have a mixer with a paddle. icon_cry.gif Can i use an ordinary mixer or will I have to mix by hand thumbsdown.gif

I've seen the recipe scaled down before for a smaller mixer...but personally if I were using one, I'd do the part with the egg whites and powdered sugar in the mixer (it's just like making royal icing) and then stir in the tylose by hand and knead it the rest of the way...or make your husband knead it icon_biggrin.gif I told mine the next time I make a batch he gets to knead it because it made my hands sore.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:45am
post #10 of 10

Omgosh Rose, those flowers are BEAUTIFUL! Great selection of flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%