Ga Renting Kitchen Space

Business By ljdills Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm by sew4children

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 8

Can anyone out there help me. I have found a restaurant willing to let me use their kitchen. Now what?

Do any of you have a contract you would be willing to share between you and the restaurant? I just don't know what it needs to say and what the Dept. of Ag. will require.

Also, when speaking with the Dept. of Agriculture, they told me that they would need hours of operation so that they can do a suprise inspection, but I have yet to advertise, so I will only be there when/if I have cakes to do.

Any stories, tips, anything. Pleeeeaaase !!

7 replies
Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 8

ljdills,

I am in Georgia too, but was told by the Dept. of Ag. that Georgia does not allow bakers to operate from a restaurant's kitchen...they don't allow two businesses at one address. I was also told that we can't bake in church kitchens, etc. He said that the only non-home options were shared kitchens set up specifically for sharing space, and as there are none near me, this basically killed my business plan until I can save enough money to convert my basement to a kitchen. Can you give me the name of who you spoke to at the Dept. of Ag.? I would love for the first guy I spoke to to have been wrong!!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:10am
post #3 of 8

I have spoke to so many people throughout this process. I wish I could give you a name, but I always just talk to whoever I happen to get on the line at the time. Anyway... each person I have talked to has given me the same information and none have told me that Ga does not allow two businesses in one location.

Is there anyone out there that rents kitchen space that can help us?

tiaracakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiaracakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 8

I am in Georgia too. I was working on my business plan, was hoping to rent space, share with a restaurant or bake from a church kitchen.
I would love more information too.
Thanks.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 8

i'm in northeast ga here. would love to find out info too. hoping someone has good news on this! icon_lol.gif

bamberc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamberc Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 8

I'm in GA, too, and would love to hear any advice/experiences from people who are here.

Sunshineah29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshineah29 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #7 of 8

I am in ga as well and was just sent this information about what and what you cant do

send me ur email address and Ill forward the infor to you

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 8

I think that the problem comes from the fact that each county has their own Dept. of Ag. office that operates under the state office. I just called the Henry County office yesterday and was told by KAREN that you can operate in a church, another restaurant or rent an incubator kitchen. The only incubator kitchens that I know of are in Suwannee and would be awful to try to commute. If I can't find someone in my county to rent from, that is an option, but I would just bake everything for the week on Monday and freeze til later in the week. Karen said that you can decorate from home, just not cook.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%