Housewarming Cake Any Ideas?? Please Help

Decorating By Anniefern Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm by Rylan

Anniefern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anniefern Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 18

Hi Guys Im new to Cake Decorating and this would be my first caek. One of my friends asked me to do a cake for her Housewarming party. I have no idea what type of cake design to make for a Housewarming party. Any ideas? Please help.

Thanks
Annie

17 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 18

I think one shaped like a mailbox would be neat.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 18

Well, since it is your first cake, maybe just something with "welcome" written on it and a door that looks half open? Don't know. I'm assuming you're inexperienced in the cake decorating arena as am I. Let us know what you come up with!

TBallad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TBallad Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 18

If you're comfortable doing something more complex, a cake made to look like her house would be breathtaking - especially if the home is something a little out of the ordinary.

If not, maybe find out what decorating style she's planning on and use that for inspiration?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 18

I would make a house on top of a tornado. I've always wanted to make one of those.

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 18

f you look in my gallery I did a round garden with a small house on it for a friend that moved recently. The house can be as easy or complex as you wish. Good luck!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 18

Wilton has a cute house pan, I'm actually doing it as a housewarming for a friend this weekend too. And you can do it as simple or complex as you want.

http://www.wilton.com/shapedpan/Stand-Up-House-Pan
I bought it at Michaels ($14 - but even better with a 50% off coupon).

Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

Anniefern Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 18

AWWW thanks everyone... you all have really really good and unique ideas.. Now all i have to do is.. figure out which cake would easy for me to make.. since im just starting .. ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND IDEAS... I just love this site and how ppl are willing to share their talents with everyone. once I make the cake Ill post my first picture...

Annie

preseliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preseliz Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 18

I have one in my photos I did for my best friend. The whole theme was "welcome to my new pad" with a frog on top of a lily pad. It was a two-tiered cake and only my second one I've done so in all, I was pleased with it. Anyway, it was a cute idea I found on CC so I ran with it! good luck!

Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 18

Annie, I am looking forward to see the finished cake =]

btw, a house floating in the ocean is also a great idea.

Anniefern Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 18

Thank you everyone for all your ideas.. I still havent decided which one will be easy to make at the same time look nice (since im new to decorating). The party is on June 20th. Ill make sure to post some pics.

A BIG THANK YOU EVERYONE

Annie

mscrivener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mscrivener Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #12 of 18

Another suggestion if your looking for something simple, you could do a sheet cake to look like a "welcome" mat with boot prints on it or something. Good luck!

patty5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty5 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:01pm
post #13 of 18

How about something like this:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/92942/normal_P1060055.JPG
you could do the pot carving a 9" or 8" cake and insert the cupcakes using bamboo skewers or instead for the "flowers" try some flower shaped cookies on a stick!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:20pm
post #14 of 18

how about 3 cakes based on this quote from the movie "It's a Wonderful Life"

Mary: Bread... that this house may never know hunger.
[Mary hands a loaf of bread to Mrs. Martini]
Mary: Salt... that life may always have flavor.
[Mary hands a box of salt to Mrs. Martini]
George Bailey: And wine... that joy and prosperity may reign forever. Enter the Martini Castle.
[George hands Mr. Martini a bottle of wine]

so a loaf of bread, a box of salt and a bottle of wine.

of course these could all be RKT models or gumpaste decos on a regular cake.

Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:28am
post #15 of 18

Actually as a tradition, a sack or rice and salt are the first things that should go inside a new house.

We've moved plenty of times and we do the same thing over and over again.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:58am
post #16 of 18

In my photo's I did a simple drawing on cake of my daughters house for her housewarming. It isn't that good but my daughter loved it 6 yrs ago when she moved into her first house. Simple is better and you just have to go with what ever skills you have. I always look in the galleries for idea's because the people on CC are awesome when it comes to cake idea's. Good Luck...and welcome...

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:05am
post #17 of 18

How about a box labeled "fragile"? I saw plenty of those when I was moving.

Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 18

The fragile box is a cool idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%