Help! Im Making 3-D 50/50Fondant Gumpaste Figures Right Now.

Decorating By JaeRodriguez Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 8:37am by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 17

and I am wondering if I need to use anything as a support and what to use to "glue" the parts together? and how long the pieces will keep until I need to not use them on a cake. THANK YOU!!!

16 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 17

I like to use a little bit of wire, depending on what it is. For glue, some things I just use water to stick together, but for a stronger bond I either use tylose mixed with water, or melted fondant/gumpaste. Some people use RI, but I'd hate to have to make some and then get the tint just right!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 17

Depending on the figure I use toothpicks or wire (for the monster on my Mario Bros. cake I used an empty egg shell) I go with whatever works at the time but I always let them know there not to be eaten. For glue I use meringue powder with a tad of water, works wonders!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaefamous

and I am wondering if I need to use anything as a support and what to use to "glue" the parts together? and how long the pieces will keep until I need to not use them on a cake. THANK YOU!!!

I would never use wire as a support... it contains lead and is not considered food safe. Use a toothpick, cocktail stick (longer than a toothpick) or spaghetti as a support. If you use anything non edible, make sure you inform whomever you have made the cake for so that no one bites the head off and gets a surprise! I use gumpaste dissolved in warm water as my glue. It works quickly. I dissolve enough to make it thick but not gummy. You don't need a lot of water or gumpaste (maybe the size of a gumball) to get what you need. To support arms in an upright position, etc. once they are placed you can place bubble wrap, paper towels, or a Styrofoam block underneath them to hold them in place while they dry. Allow your pieces to dry up to two days... they will last for a long time. I still have some I made over a year ago and they have not even faded.

HTH!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 17

hi, i was taught to use spegheti (sp.) for support.. if the figure is large.. then i use thin skewers... i like to use the tylose glue.. made sorta thick.. or the fondant/gumpaste with the hot water method. i like all my glue sorta thick. it really makes the arms , legs, shoes,etc. set up quicker.. hth

JaeRodriguez Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 17

Thank you all! I used toothpicks and spaghetti, and one turned out great and one I tried to put in a lunge, he didnt make it! I'm wondering why? If you have any ideas... and Win you were very helpful as I am very new to caking! :]
LL

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 17

icon_cry.gif Poor Kevin!!! icon_cry.gif
Was he a standing figure? I see you mentioned he was in a lunge. Here's my son's 16th b-day cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1225274
icon_biggrin.gif

When I create standing figures, I craft the legs first and insert toothpicks through each all the way through the foot so that I can insert it into Styrofoam. As well, there is toothpick coming out of the top of the legs. After they have set up, I then fashion a "naked" torso and shoulders and small neck and place it down over the top of the legs... the extruding toothpicks (really, I should clarify they are cocktail sticks which are a little longer) act as the support for the torso. Again, I let that set up. I then make a little outfit for the torso whether it be a shirt, sweater, dress, etc. Next goes the head. For that, I place a toothpick about half way through and allow the sharp end to go into the torso (which is plump enough in the center that it has not fully dried and will allow you to still insert the toothpick into it) about half way as well. This provides a "spine" so to speak. Finally, I craft arms and mold them as to how I want them to stay. Sometime paper towels will be all I need to keep them in place, sometimes something sturdier. I allow all that to dry and harden about three days so that they can be moved around without fear of breaking. They are pretty sturdy overall. Here are a few more standing figures I've done:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/194693/thumb_Hamburger_Cake_013.JPG

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1344548

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/194693/thumb_Cowboy_Collage.jpg

That's just how I do it... not saying it's right, or the only way 'cause there is sooo much talent out here on CC, but it works for me. thumbs_up.gif

Hope that helps.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #8 of 17

when i connect the body and head.. i use a thin skewer.. it goes down into torso.. and up to the top of the head.. doesn,t show.. and then when it is all dry. i put the hair on.. most times , i take the thin skewer , toothpick or speghetti thru the body to attach his arms. more secure that way. and again it depends on the size of what i am making.. i use strong glue also.. let the fan blow on them. over night. then paint the faces ,etc.. hth alsoi also let the thin skewer come out of the pant legs or bare legs to attach the shoes.. that works good for me also.. i make the arm and hands all together..

miny Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #9 of 17

I always do the legs or supporting part first and let them dry a little, this way they can handle the upper body weight, then I do the same before adding the head. HTH.

JaeRodriguez Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #10 of 17

ahhh! I think that letting it set up bottom to top before I continue stacking parts on might be the key! How long do you usually let it set up before you stack on another part? Thank you Win! Your cakes and 3D figures are amazing! :]

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:53am
post #11 of 17

you have two posts going..LOL That stadning little guy is super cute! How it the other one going?
You could lay him down till he firms up over night.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #12 of 17

Wow! A little late for me to find this! My giraffes are leaning a little in the neck. I used cans and bubble wrap to steady them. I thought I had them straight until I moved the cans later. They are leaning! I used spaghetti for mine, just incase someone bites it they will get a crunchy pieace instead of wood. HTH

JaeRodriguez Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:00am
post #13 of 17

haha sadsmile, I do because I was FREAKING OUT trying to make him and no one was answering this post so I thought maybe I posted on the wrong Forum Board! Then everyone started answering both, which isn't a bad thing because I felt totally lost! lol And Kevin my karate kid that lost the fight, he's still all mangled in the kitchen lol... I think I need to give up and start a new Kevin! He has toothpicks and linguini sticking out of his legs :[ poor guy! I will reuse his head though! icon_biggrin.gif

miny Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #14 of 17

Until they look sturdy enough but not too dry because they may crack if you stick toothpics in them or any other thing you may need, maybe 2 or 3 hrs. It depends on the thicknes of your figure. Look at the monster on my Mario Bros. cake, that thing was super heavy and the thick shell on the back with the spikes didn't help either but it held strong, I think they still have the thing on a shelf and I'm happy because that figure was the only thing that came out ok on that cake!!

JaeRodriguez Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:19am
post #15 of 17

That 3D Mario Bros figure is AMAZING!! I think I waited too long for the feet to dry on Kevin, because his feet were cracking! Did you use toothpicks on your monster? I don't see how he could stand up with that heavy shell on his back!

miny Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:05am
post #16 of 17

Yes, each leg has 3/4 of a toothpick and the body is an egg shell filled with paper napkins and covered in fondant, I put 2 more toothpics in the napkins to hold the big head but what helped to hold the huge shell in the bag was the big tail of the monster.
Thank you so much for your nice comment and I hope this helps you. My advise to you is just to keep practicing. Good luck.

JaeRodriguez Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:37am
post #17 of 17

I will definitely keep trying! I forgot that you had mentioned using the eggshell earlier! so cool!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%