Name Suggestions?

Business By adven68 Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm by weirkd

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 12

So, I'm opening the store in a few weeks and I still can't decide on a name!
I live in Brooklyn, I am Greek, I will be making only Specialty cakes. I don't want anything cutesie...I DO want something chic. My name is Irene. LOL

any ideas?

11 replies
mum1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mum1205 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 12

Congratulations...I am so happy for you. How about playing with the words haute couture...haute cakery, couture cakes, designer cakes...it's hard, isn't it?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 12

brooklyn cakes/ bakes. that is the extent of my creativity!
congratulations though icon_smile.gif maybe you can greek-ify that name, like swap in a letter, so that it becomes a bit more original. any greek words for cake that you could use?
xx

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 12

You must be known for your art, so why not The Painted Eye Custom Cakery? Or play up the Greek aspect with Goddess of Cake. If there is an obscure Greek goddess of cake/desert, that would be fun, but I don't know of one. You could combine the two playing off of Cyclopes somehow. Congrats on taking the plunge. I am sure you will be a success.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 12

You could use the greek word for cake (keïk) if you want to keep the greek theme.

Keïk Goddess

I like the Painted Eye Custom Cakery, thumbs_up.gif

Mez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mez Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 12

Ambrosia was the food/nectar of the greek gods - maybe something with that in it?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 12

I love "The Cake Goddess" or "Goddess of Cake"

adven68 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes22

You could use the greek word for cake (keïk) if you want to keep the greek theme.

Keïk Goddess

I like the Painted Eye Custom Cakery, thumbs_up.gif

LOL...keik is such Grenglish word (Greek & English combined)...I love the Goddess idea, but there are a couple out there already. Hmmmm...ambrosia is interesting....all of your suggestions made my brain start up. Time to brainstorm!

Thanks to everyone!

Can anyone think of any negative reasons why I shouldn't use my first & last name?
i.e. Sylvia Weinstock

thanks!

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:33am
post #9 of 12

You CAN use your first and last names! I'm not sure about The Painted Eye. The picture I'm getting in my head has nothing to do with cake. I also would not use anything Greek sounding unless you have a huge Greek population that you intend to market to. It might make people wonder why a Greek cake is different from a "normal" wedding cake. But - there are a whole slew of Greek goddesses, right? You could be Mighty Aphrodite but Woody Allen already used that one!

I understand your frustration! It seems like such a simple thing, but the name you come up with is the name you will be stuck with!

OH - and make sure you research the name and that no one else is using it. At least around you. I worked for a restaurant that used the same name as a restaurant chain two states away. The chain found out about it and made the restaurant change the name and everything that had the name printed on it. Cost them about $16,000.

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 12

Your last name is perfect for a title. What about Likokas' Cakes or Likokas' Cakery? You could have a tag line along the lines of where sugar and art meet (or something more creative than that)! Your cakes are amazing btw.

adven68 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks again, everyone...very ggod advice. i definitely am researching each possibility. I want all of the domains to also be available so I can grab them all!!

I think I may have decided...I will finalize all the paperwork & then reveal!!! LOL

thanks so much...I am a little inspired by each of you! mwah!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #12 of 12

If your not Greek then Keik people wouldnt understand it. You would be constantly having to tell people what it is.
So something that have a greek tone without being to confusing. Its too early for my brain to work but the only thing I can think of is My Big Fat Greek Cake Shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%