I Have A Few Questions....

Decorating By aunt_dodo Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm by Hollysuann

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #1 of 5

Question #1: Bride has asked for "A cream color" icing, What is the easiest way to get a cream/off-white color icing. She doesn't want it to be bright white.

Question #2: I need to get a "Tan" color for a cake I'm doing this weekend, What is the easiest way to do that?

Question #3: Where do I get a pattern for cutting out zebra print with fondant, and what is the best way to do it? Do I need to use an Xacto knife? Tips for me? (First time cutting out a pattern, but work with fondant quite often)

Question #4: I am doing a three-tier wedding cake, columns in between to leave a space for fresh roses (so it looks like a layer of cake, then roses, then cake etc.)...How would I figure out how many Roses I am going to need so I can tell the bride? The layers will be 10",8", 6".

Thanks in advance!

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 5

1. I would just go and get some Ivory Wilton paste. Just use a little bit, stir it, see if you like the color. You can always add more and a little bit goes a long way.

2. I would use a little bit of brown paste. It will turn out tan. Again add a little bit and then you can always add more to get it to the right shade.

3. A lot of people just free hand the zebra print. I haven't actually seen any patterns. But there may be one out there. You could probably just try to google it.

4. That is really going to depend on how many inches are going to be in between each tier. If there is a large space, she is going to need quite a few flowers!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 5

1. Any ivory gel paste will do.

2. You mean the inside of the cake? Like the actual cake itself? I would use food coloring if you are using a white cake.

3. It's fairly easy. You don't need a pattern. Maybe you can look a zebra picture if you need guidance. You can also use a pizza cutter and it is easier.

4. It will all depend.

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 5

Thank You! I haven't been able to fine an ivory color at michaels or hobby lobby....I guess I will look elsewhere.

As for the amount of space in between, Basically enough height for a large open rose to fit in...They will go side by side all the way around.

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 5

I am doing a graduation cake right now and I used regular vanilla flavoring (imitation..brown colored) and it turned the icing an off white color. It's definitely NOT bright white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%