Making My Own Mmf Vs. Buying Commercial Fondant

Decorating By sxyfemm Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 4:32am by en-passant

sxyfemm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sxyfemm Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 21

Hello All,

I've recently learned that most bakers do NOT make there own fondant. I have been making my own MMF (Marshmellow fondant) for about a year now. When I first decided to start baking and using fondant I bought the wilton's fondant and it was gross and pricey.So I decided to make my own. My mmf works well but it definitely slows down production for me( it sticks ,tears etc sometimes icon_sad.gif .

Im just curious how many people make there own fondant vs buying commercial fondant

And if so which commercial fondant do you use and why?

Thankyou sooo much for your help !! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 21

I am now a HUGE fan of MFF. I use to make MMF as well and thought it was the best UNTIL I made MFF. I don't buy fondant becuase of taste. I make mine ahead of time. I usually will have several batches on hand, but then again, I don't do TONS of cakes.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 21

I agree 100% with umgrzfn.....MFF is so much better (in my opinion) than regular MMF or store-bought. When I make MFF it stays good forever as long as I keep it sealed in plastic wrap in a ziplock bag. I still buy pre-made red and black fondant just because it is so hard to get good strong color with those two.

I do the same with buttercream, I make my own but I buy pre-made red, green and black for decorating.

katta87_2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katta87_2005 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 21

I've just started working with fondant and I really like using MMF but it definitally is time consuming. I've been wondering about trying different kinds of fondant but it seems MMF is the cheapest and easiest to make.... maybe i'm wrong idk. I'd buy it but I don't really do enough cakes yet to support the cost. Good luck!

sxyfemm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sxyfemm Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 21

Call me crazy but what exactly is MFF?
And may I please have the recipe

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 21

I made my own MFF for about 6 months. Then I switched to Satin Ice and I love it. I don't have the mess and it is so much less time consuming than making my own. It also tastes good! I am now a satin ice girl!

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 21

I make my MMF in my kitchenaid. Way faster. What is MFF?

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 21

MFF is Michelle Fosters fondant. It is easy to make and I love working with it. Tastes awesome, even my daughter who hates MMF loves it! The recipe is in the recipe section.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 21

MFF= Michelle Foster Fondant MMF= Marshmallow Fondant

I'm like a lot of others here on CC.....the cost of the Satin Ice + shipping is so much more expensive than making it myself. I think the pre-made fondants are easier to roll out and such but I only use fondant for cookies so I'm not struggling with covering cakes with it (i have done one cake in fondant but it's just not popular here so 99% of my cakes are BC).

SusyQz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusyQz Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 21

Hi All

Is MFF= Michelle Foster Fondant a recipe here or a brand you all buy in the stores ??

Thanks
icon_biggrin.gif

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 21

I'm going to try MFF this week. I'm practicing for a special cake for my DH in September. Has anyone used MFF and gotten a good black or should I just buy the black. I notice one poster says that she buys her black to get a good color. I was just wondering how much color it would take, if it is going to change the texture or cause it to "go funky and get all wonky" (love those technical terms). I won't mind buying it if I need to I want the cake to be perfect, just looking for some thoughts from all the talented folks here.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 21

MFF all the way. Nothing beats the taste of white chocolate MFF. I refuse to put a cake out in the world with my name attached to it if it's got Wilton Fondant on it. I don't care who says their kids love it or so and so steals scraps of it. It tastes like bug spray flavored chewing gum.

And MFF is simple to make. I take a day here and there to make a bunch ahead to keep on hand. It stays just as well as any purchased fondant.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 21

I have tried to use MMF but I am not happy with the way it handles or looks when finished. ( mine was really sdhiny ) I make my own using the recipe in the wilton book. It tastes NOTHING like the Wilton premaid stuff. I tis good, and the texture is great. and Fondant is much easier to make that lot's of people think. I make my own all the way. I'll never buy commercial.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 21

I have been unable to find mff in the recipe section. I tried michelle foster fondant, michele foster fondant, michelle fosters fondant, and mff. What am i doing wrong in my search? Please help!

candoo Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 21

I have been unable to find mff in the recipe section. I tried michelle foster fondant, michele foster fondant, michelle fosters fondant, and mff. What am i doing wrong in my search? Please help!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:32pm
post #16 of 21

Maybe at her website. Or if you do a google search it should come up.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #17 of 21

The correct spelling is Michele Foster's fondant, you have to type it exactly like that or it won't come up. One L in Michele and the apostrofe and s after Foster('s) icon_smile.gif And the white chocolate version is all I use for everything, even mixed one third gumpaste two thirds fondant for flowers or figures

candoo Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #18 of 21

raquel-
I found it, thank u, thank u!!!

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:38am
post #19 of 21

I don't use fondant much, but I have used satin ice, and I have made my own (marshmellow). In my opinion they were kinda the same, but I liked the taste of the homeade one better. Satin ice was good, don't get me wrong, but the homeade one just tasted better. The one thing that I didn't like about homeade MMF was that is was very sticky and hard to make. icon_sad.gif I really do like the way cakes look with fondant, so to me it is worth the work......sometimes. icon_lol.gif

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:51am
post #20 of 21

candoo that happened to me too, I just went to the fondant option and then scrolled down until I found it...it's there. I haven't used it yet but after reading this thread I will definitely be trying it out. Is there a chocolate option for the mff??

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:32am
post #21 of 21

I purchase fondant. I use about 1000-1500 pounds per year, so it would be way too time-consuming (not to mention the physical wear and tear from kneading) to make my own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%