Cupcake Cakes

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 12:12am by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 14

Ok so this is going to be my first cupcake cake order and I'm unsure of how to make my cupcakes all nice and level. Sometimes they are overflowing, sometimes they don't even come up to the top of the wrapper. What is the correct amount of batter to use in a cupcake to make them the perfect height? I'll be using boxed funfetti cake mix if that makes any difference

13 replies
Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 14

Use a cookies scoop: 1", 2", etc.

I like a crown on my cupcakes for cupcake cakes so I fill mine at least 2/3's full(I use a 2" cookie scoop). I also like convection ovens for this reason(uniform baking). Basically the cookies scoop method works best.

I also would try a test cuppie first and see if it is the height you want.

Good luck and have fun!

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 14

I have done about 15 cupcake cakes so far and I love them. (you can see some of them in my pics) To get them level, I use a small ladle to pour the batter into the cups. The ladle is the perfect size: one ladle full=one cupcake. icon_biggrin.gif After baking, if I have some that overflow or are taller than the rest, I will cut the top of the cupcake off (down to the paper). If one is not full enough i just put it in the middle of the cake and put more icing on it, enoough that the paper does not show thru the base layer or background icing. Cupcake cakes are my most ordered style of cake to decorate. They are just so easy to serve! HTH Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, PS. FYI- I forgot to tell you that I tend to not be able to get a full 24 cupcakes from one box of Pillsbury Funfetti mix. I am usually one or two short. So I always make sure that I have an extra box on hand!

~Jen

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 14

Do you use a standard cupcake pan?

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 14

Hi,
I'm not sure of the 'correct' amount of batter to make the cupcakes the perfect height, but I know when I made my first ccc the info I found here on CC, said that when you take the cupcakes out of the oven that you should place something on top. I can't remember what was recommended, but I use my wooden cutting board (covered with parchment paper). It is the perfect weight to 'squish' the cupcakes to the right size without wrecking them.

Hope this helps,
Valerie.

TheCakerator Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 14

thanks for all of your replies, yes I do use a standard size cupcake pan. I do have a cookie scooper, but I'm not real sure what size it is. I think maybe only a 1 inch. I would like for the cupcakes to be pretty much level with the top of the wrapper, cause if they are quite humped up in the middle by the time I use a weight to press them down, they hang over the sides of the wrapper making it hard to get them smooshed close enough to ice nicely. I never thought of cutting off the tops if they are to big. I guess it would not be noticeable?

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #7 of 14

I don't have a big cookie scoop, so I use a 1/4 cup measuring scoop. (I do have a 1" scoop, and I can't remember if it takes 2 or 3 of those. You could put 2 or 3 coops into the 1/4 cup to see how many it is (or use water for less mess).) They come out perfectly level for me. If for some reason they aren't level, I do what Val suggested and put a cooke sheet (and waxed paper) on top, and put a can of vegetables on it to press it down. It's not too heavy, but it levels them out. I do it when they are still in the pan, right after they come out of the oven. I don't leave it on too long, maybe 5 minutes.

TheCakerator Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 14

so a 1/4 cup of batter in a standard cupcake tin should get me level cupcakes? thanks...

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 14

thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 14

ok, off to bake!

TheCakerator Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm
post #11 of 14

ok one more question, when making a cupcake cake, do you have to stagger the cupcakes so there are no gaps in between them? Or can you line them up, have small gaps between the cupcakes and still ice over all of them? I would really like it to look like a sheet cake, and not a crazy bumpy design, if that makes sense. Thanks!

jdelaney81 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:17pm
post #12 of 14

i usually stagger them. but if you want it to look like a sheet cake then you need to cut up the extra cupcakes to fit into the gaps. Otherwise your icing will sink (i learned that the hard way! icon_biggrin.gif ). Post a pic. I would love to it. I am sure that you will do fabulous.

jdelaney81 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 14

Ok so disregard part of my last post. I just saw your cakes! wonderful job. Do you have a recipe for the buttercream dream, or do you but it?

TheCakerator Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:12am
post #14 of 14

thanks! I had to stagger them cause I thought the icing would fall down if I didn't .. they get delivered tomorrow, I hope the icing makes it! The buttercream dream recipe is right off this site ... I love using it, its very easy to make and will crust for me in the fridge usually in 5-10 minutes making it easier for me to smooth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%