Fondant Accents On Bc Cake

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm by crisc23

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 7

I want to add some fondant accents on a Buttercream iced cake. The cake is 2 tier, 8 inch/6inch. I plan to have polka dots on the bottom tier and stripes on the top tier with a bow on top. I know to add the accents to make sure the buttercream is firm.

My question is after they are added is it safe to transfer the cake to the fridge to help assure safe transporting the next morning? Will refrigeration affect the fondant accents in any way?

Thanks!

6 replies
yud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yud Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 7

make sure you wrap it well in a plastic bag or better yet with saran wrap. Fonadant is sensitive to humidity and may disolve or at least "sweat".
It is very important to remove the cake from the fridge and let it "sweat" a while before removing the wrap. This will ensure that any sweating that might occure due to temperature difference will be kept on the wrap and the cake will remain unharmed.

sweet1122 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 7

Okay, I'm not doing that... How would this work: The cake is in the fridge to firm up the BC. I apply the fondant accents after which the cake continues to "sweat". Any harm to the fondant accents that way? I'll just transport it carefully at room temperature and leave the cake out at room temperature.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 7

i just went thru this same thing as i decorate with fondant:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633732.html

lots of great advice on this topic.

fondant should not be covered is what i learned the hard way. it needs to breath.

i iced my cake, fridged it, brought it out and applied decorations, and then back into the fridge for overnight, uncovered. brought cake out into a/c room to come to temp and it was just fine.

if your cake sweats, just leave it be and it will dry off. don't touch while sweating icon_smile.gif . i believe if you wrap or cover at this point, you will get goo just like i did. the fondant will absorb the moisture.

i would also NOT put the bow on until the morning...if your gumpaste or fondant is not totally dry, you could get a wilted bow.

check out the link, it has lots of great folks with advice icon_smile.gif

diane

sweet1122 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 7

Why do you need to refirgerate the cake..Is it Swiss or Italian buttercream?
Edna icon_smile.gif

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 7

All of my cakes are buttercream iced cakes with fondant accents. I always refrigerate the iced cakes to firm them up, I attach the fondant accents then leave them in the fridge over night until delivery. They are just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%