Homemade Fondant Help

Baking By luv2bake6 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm by luv2bake6

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 10

Hi.
I made Rhonda's MF and RBC the other day and tried each of them today.

RBC - Now i see what everyone is talking about when they say it's greasy. While it tastes amazing and roll out easily, when i put it onto a cookie, the entire top had a greasy look to it which is quite unappetizing to the eye. Not to mention, i don't know how RI decorations can be applied since RI does not like grease.
Any suggestions on this? I even tried to mix in some of my Satin Ice fondant (i don't like the taste so that's why i don't use it alone) but it did not help.

MF - It was a mess to make but it looked good going into the saran wrap and then the ziploc. I left it out on the counter as per instructions. When i unwrapped it to knead in color, it was too firm. The color just barely made a dent in the firm dough, but i continued kneading cuz maybe it needed some warmth to make it more pliable. It was all for nothing because it just won't soften.
Any suggestion here?

Why does RI seem so much easier?

9 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 10

Not sure if this will help but...regarding the RBC, I can't help you there because I'm not big on BC so I've never tried the RBC. As far as the fondant goes. I use to use MMF and thought it was the best until yesturday when I made MFF (Michelle Fosters Fondant-updated version). I put it on cookies while they were still just a bit warm and they stuck AWESOME. I'm also not huge on Fondant (I'm a diabetic so everything to me is extra sweet) However, because I was sending them with my husband to work, I wanted to try them before I let them walk out the door. OMG, they were so good on sugar cookies! WOW. I had a couple of them! Also, I dread dying fondant black. It makes such a mess and takes SOOOO much black. Anyway, I died some of the MFF black, wow, it took the color GREAT!!!!!! I hope this helps a little!

luv2bake6 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 10

It does help and thank you so much. I actually wanted to make MMF but do not have glycerin........i have glucose, could that be interchangeable?

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 10

I had the same problem with the RBC....so easy to work with but so greasy! And I didn't care too much for the texture of fondant....so, now I mix them together to cover my cookies. About 2/3 MFF to 1/3 RBC. The taste is great and it is so easy to work with.

As far as sticking the fondant onto the cookies - I don't have enough room to have the cookies come out of the oven and have everything else rolled and cut and ready to go......I just brush on a thin layer of corn syrup onto the cookie and then cover.

dadawley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadawley Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 10

Hi I just use the regular MMF recipe found on CC and add a dram of Lorann's Butter Flavor to it after I melt the marshmellows. Tastes really good, reminds me of buttercream, but not as greasy as the RBC and tastes excellent on NFSC! If my MMF gets too stiff I just do as the recipe suggests and pop it into the microwave for 10-20 seconds, seems to work great after that! I haven't tried Michelle Fosters recipe as of yet, so I can't help you there, but I will be trying that next .

Hope that helps? Denise

luv2bake6 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 10

I tried combining the 2 fondants but the MF (Rhonda's) was still so tough that it did not mix into the RBC. I tried mixing satin ice fondant with the RBC but maybe i need more.........I really don't want to have to throw them out.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 10

Luv2bake6.....did you warm your MFF in the microwave before you tried to mix? It will really help...even if you're not mixing the two it really helps soften the fondant.

luv2bake6 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 10

I was afraid to warm it for fear of it melting and losing it's consistency. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 10

luv2bake, throw it in the micro for 10-20 seconds, it will knead much easier for you. IF it gets too soft and melty, let it sit andcool and it will come back .

luv2bake6 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you guys so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%