Question About Cheesecakes

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 1:14am by Rylan

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone,

So, I am doing a cheesecake for a friend. Normally, I do my cheesecake in a springform pan, so I just take off the sides and leave it on the base for serving. However, because this isn't going to be served in my home, I don't really want my springform base leaving with the cheesecake.

What do you all do with cheesecakes for customers? What type of a base do you put them on and how do you get it off the springform base without ruining it? Also, will a 10 inch cheesecake be enough for 16-20 people?

Thanks!

13 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 14

Line your springform pan with a parchment paper circle. You will be able to transfer very easily to a serving board. For me a 10in cheesecake would serve 16 easily, don't know about 20 but don't see why they couldn't stretch it.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 14

i agree with Peg818. i line the bottom with parchment, but i don't cut it to size. that way it's easier to remove the cheesecake from the pan and then slide my spatula under it to transfer it to whatever I'm serving on. a 10" should be enough for 20 people. you don't want to have monster pieces. i think that would give them just the right size.

mrswendel Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you for your responses. Apparently they are huge cheesecake lovers and like to have "a good chunk" of cheesecake....I don't have a springform pan larger than 10 inch, so I'm not sure how I would do any larger.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 14

Could you make a large cheesecake and maybe a couple smaller ones in a 4-6 inch springform?

If you don't cut the parchment, but lay it over the base then secure the side over the parchment, how do you hide the extra parchment sticking out around the bottom of the cheesecake?

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 14

I cover a 10" cardboard cake circle with foil and use it in place of the metal pan bottom, then just leave it on the cake circle to deliver to client.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 14

I don't use a springform pan. I bake mine ina regular cake pan (with a circle of parchment underneath). After it's well-chilled, I run a knife around the edge, hit the outside with a blowtorch (you can also quickly dip the pan in hot water), flip it out onto a plastic wrap covered cake circle, and then again onto a regular cake circle, and you're ready to go!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 14

I have to say that sounds very impressive. I am such a clutz, I would be destined to have cheesecake all over the place, then of course I would have to eat the ruined one. LOL!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I don't use a springform pan. I bake mine ina regular cake pan (with a circle of parchment underneath). After it's well-chilled, I run a knife around the edge, hit the outside with a blowtorch (you can also quickly dip the pan in hot water), flip it out onto a plastic wrap covered cake circle, and then again onto a regular cake circle, and you're ready to go!

mrswendel Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 14

I didn't think about doing it in a regular cake pan. I think I will try that route....worse case scenario is I have to eat a destroyed cheesecake and make another in a springform pan! WIN WIN!!!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 14

I bake the cheesecake in the springform pan. I then allow it to cool completely then put it in the fridge to chill. I take the sides off the pan, place a cake board covered with aluminum foil (or a very large dinner plate), invert the cheesecake, take off the bottom buy running a small butter knife to loosen it, and then turn it right-side-up onto the serving plate.

I do this for ALL my cheesecakes and I've never had a problem.

I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:02pm
post #11 of 14

This is a good question. I've wondered this myself. I've heard that some people place a cardboard cake circle right in the bottom of the springform pan and put the crust right on top of that. They say it doesn't burn because it isn't exposed, and it makes it really easy to transfer to wherever. I'd actually like to try this myself on just a cheesecake at home because I hate having to wait to clean the bottom of the springform pan.

PinkZiab, you are a maniac! icon_biggrin.gif I would be waaaaay to scared to try your method, but I don't doubt that it works well for you. Wish I had that kind of fearlessness, lol!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

PinkZiab, you are a maniac! icon_biggrin.gif I would be waaaaay to scared to try your method, but I don't doubt that it works well for you. Wish I had that kind of fearlessness, lol!

This is sort of standard commercial practice... most of the kitchens I have been in don't use springform pans... the first time I did it in culinary school I was scared out of my mind that the cheesecake would fall apart. After that, I never looked back! A properly baked, and well-chilled cheesecake is a lot sturdier than you think!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #13 of 14

We bake ours in springform pans, cool, cover and chill, and then take off side. We then remove the cheesecake to a cardboard circle or plate using the large spatula. It works very nicely with a 9" or 10" cheesecake.

Paul & Peter

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #14 of 14

I've made a lot of cheesecakes in my life and never had a problem taking the cheesecake off the base of the springform pan.

I usually let the cheesecake cool, pop it in the fridge and wait until cold. I then use a long spatula or the back of a long knife to remove it from its base. I just lift it gently on one side and then slide it around the base. Once it's lose, I would transfer it on a plate or stand. I've also sucessfully done this on cheesecakes that I didn't refrigerate. I just think that a cold cheesecake is much less prone to breakage.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%