Would You Pay $200.00 For This Cake???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 5:00am by madgeowens

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #1 of 30

Hi All!

I have finally added a few of my cakes. Thank you in advance for all of your help with my many questions.

I would like for you to click on my photos and take a look at the Spongebob Squarepants cake. It is a 10" and 8" Buttercream iced cake. All decorations are made out of fondandt. The shells on the bottom of the cake are made our of Chocalate and board is covered in crushed Grahm Crackers. I bought the SpongeBob Pineapple and figures from an on-line store. This was for my son's 3 year old b-day.

I was thinking about charging 200.00 for this cake if anyone wanted to order it. What do you think? To much? Just enough?

Thank you =)

29 replies
melissa0902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa0902 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #2 of 30

I think this cake looks great!! Perfectly smooth and level. I think how much you charge depends on where you live. I live near Nashville and I know one bakery in particular would definitely charge atleast $200. But I think if you're make it from home you might have trouble finding someone to pay $200. Probably more like $125-$150. Unless you live in a bigger city. Then definitely $200. It really looks nice.

Mikel79 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 30

Thank you for the reply. I live in Atlanta. Thanks again!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #4 of 30

I think the price is good, in some areas you could go even higher..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:54am
post #5 of 30

The cake looks really pretty. The design is consistent through out and very well balanced. The colors are just the right tones and the corals looks like it came out of the show -- overall, I think you did a really clean and fantastic job. I honestly would try to avoid using non edible figures on cakes.

Edited for correction.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:03am
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I honestly would try to avoid using non edible figures on cakes.

Although this way the OP would avoid all the copyright infringement issues by using bought figures. Making them herself for sale potentially opens a whole can of worms (even if it is a nicer way to go!). Just playing devil's advocate here!

As for the cake as shown, I think $200 is right on the money.

countrygal7782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygal7782 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:10am
post #7 of 30

I think you did a wonderful job on the cake!!! I am however amazed that this cake could be worth 200 dollars. icon_eek.gif I guess the area you live in does make that big of a difference. I live in a very small town in Missouri and I would be lucky to get 75 dollars for a cake like that. icon_cry.gif I think I need to move to a bigger city thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:15am
post #8 of 30

You are right bonjovibabe. I forgot about that! Please disregard what I have just said =]

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 30

I would charge $120 or so.

When I read your subject line, my first thought was "No. I started making cakes so I wouldn't have to pay $200 for a birthday cake." icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:29pm
post #10 of 30

I love your Spongebob cake! It looks amazing!!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 30

again, it depends on where you live and your customer base - i would charge £45-£50 sterling for this and that is with handmade figures - lol - i need to move to London icon_sad.gif

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 30

i guess everything is relative =) you might be able to get more for cakes in some places, but those places likely have a higher cost of living.

not that this answers your post in any way...just my random thought.

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 30

I have seen so many "can't get that price over here" comments all over the forums here and to a certain extent that is true. As crystalina1977 said: the cost of living and therefore wages are higher in some places. However....

Why does that seem that one has to produce one of Edna's thousand dollar cakes for 150 because "no one here will pay more"? Does not the lower income in that town mean that its residents can't afford a cake like Edna's? Just as they cannot afford to drive Ferraris and own super-yachts.

It appears to me that so many of you want to work on creative, fun cakes with fantastic details (I love decorating too so understand that) but you also must then accept that you will not get paid for your time and live with that decision. Your customers cannot really afford your beautiful creation and you are inevitably giving some of it away.

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #14 of 30

that's not too much at all. It's just over $2.00 a serving. And I believe that's fondant, all the cost for the figurines, not too much at all. My two cents.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekoli

Your customers cannot really afford your beautiful creation and you are inevitably giving some of it away.

Not me...if I choose to make a cake and give it as a gift, then that is on me and I am fine with that. However, if someone comes to me and wants me to make them a cake, then I am going to quote what I think is a fair and reasonable fee given the amount of time and product the cake takes. If they choose not to pay the asking price, that is on them. I refuse to let myself be guilted into working like a dog to get everything just right, just to give them a price break because that's the going price in the area I live, or they can't afford it at regular price, etc.

I take a lot of pride in what I do and I work hard on every cake I make. I'm not going to let myself work for pennies when I should be getting dollars! I have a full time day job and I have learned that you need to establish prices right up front so that the customer can decide whether they can afford it or not. It's entirely up to them. I don't feel bad when we quote a price for our services and they can't afford it. It seems that literally everyone these days is having it hard and they want us to work for nothing so that they can have what they want. Not going to work with me. I have to pay for what I want and they should too!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:38am
post #16 of 30

I think it's worth more but I would not go less than $200 but what are they charging cakes in your area. I would not go with because I'm doing it at home I can't charge the same price as bakeries. I would not go less. That's just my opinion.

Mikel79 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:41am
post #17 of 30

Thank you so much ptanyer!! I could not agree with you more.
Thank you again everyone for your input.

=)

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #18 of 30

ok I asked my 12 year old grandson, what would you pay for this cake.............first he said "Holy Crap. thats cool" then he said um $2oo.oo...........how about that....I could not believe he came up with that amount.....but there you have it....

ptanyer Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #19 of 30

Just remember: stick to your guns! If they want YOU to make a cake for them, they will pay what you ask and if they don't, then you can do something else with your time - like make brownies and eat them...lol..lol.. and you won't be working for free!

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:02am
post #20 of 30

It's pretty and you did a lovely job, but I believe it is more in the $90-$120 range.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #21 of 30

With an 8 and a 10 inch cake that's 62 servings. What are the bakeries in your area charging? $2 a serving is low in my area and that's $124, $3 is $186. That sounds better to me, plus the cost of the figures. It's a beautiful cake. And your buttercream is so smooth.

madgeowens Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:25am
post #22 of 30

Its worth 200 if you can't bake a cake like that

melissa0902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa0902 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #23 of 30

ptanyer, I love your reply! Just this week I finally made a website with pictures and prices. I forced myself to tell people my prices with confidence and all 4 booked a cake. I think once you get a little experience under your belt you have to get paid for the time it is taking from your family.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:00am
post #24 of 30

I think 200.00 it is a good price your cake it is Amazing, for me I don't care paying even 300.00 I looove this cake icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

ptanyer Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:49pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa0902

ptanyer, I love your reply! Just this week I finally made a website with pictures and prices. I forced myself to tell people my prices with confidence and all 4 booked a cake. I think once you get a little experience under your belt you have to get paid for the time it is taking from your family.

Good for you!!! Customers don't have a clue as to how much time goes into the cake decorating process. We don't just pull a frozen cake out of the freezer that is partially decorated and write their names on it and we're done. You have to believe in yourself and your capabilities as a decorator or you wouldn't be doing this - as a hobby or a career. Keep up the good work and always remember: If people are approaching you about doing a cake for them, they have seen and/or tasted your cakes and like what they found. You aren't doing them a favor...you are a business! Have a great day!

BTW - I agree with Frankyola, your cake is wonderful and worth a lot of money - I don't think that $300 is out of line for your amazing cake.

Mikel79 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #26 of 30

Hi paulstonia!

You are correct about the 186.00 amount. That is what I would charge if I did not have to buy the Spongebob figures. The figures cost about 20-25. That is how I ended up with the 200.00 amount.

Thank you for your input! =)

melhoneybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melhoneybee Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #27 of 30

Cute cake, but I think $200.00 is a little bit high, with the figures I would charge about $170.00. JMO OH, and if someone wanted a cake with figures on it, I would make THEM buy them! Save yourself the time and trouble of doing it and just put them on for them when you arrive for delivery. icon_smile.gif So then, actual amount I would charge would be $140.00.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #28 of 30

......if someone wanted a cake with figures on it, I would make THEM buy them! Save yourself the time and trouble ........

Yes, because when *you* buy them then sell the cake w/them you are re-selling the figures and *that is against copyright law* icon_sad.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

......if someone wanted a cake with figures on it, I would make THEM buy them! Save yourself the time and trouble ........

Yes, because when *you* buy them then sell the cake w/them you are re-selling the figures and *that is against copyright law* icon_sad.gif

Good point. But I definitely think $200 is a good price for that cake. Anything less and you'll be underselling yourself. Some people just don't realize how much work actually went into this creation.

madgeowens Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:00am
post #30 of 30

OMG people we have too many laws sheesh....................makes me want to barf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%