Hawiian Theme

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm by tiggy2

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 19

I am making a going away cake for some friends at church, they are moving to Hawaii...Must be nice!!!

I am a little stumped on what kind of cake I should make that would go with my cake theme. I have never made anything exotic so i'm looking for something that is dummy proof Very Happy

Please if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them and if you have a recipe to go along with it that would be wonderful! Thumbs Up!

18 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 19

How about adding a lot of those flowers that reminds you of Hawaii? It's fun yet classy.

bmarlow001 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:37am
post #3 of 19

I actually thought about that, having flowers around the bottom of the tiers with bright colored tiers. I saw a cake on the internet that I would love to find the recipe to, it is so neat looking!

Any ideas?
LL

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 19

FRANGIPANI are a tropical flower and so easy to make.

go thru this thread and I think there are 2 different methods

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=631973&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:27am
post #5 of 19

As for the cakes, I believe that can be done by adding food coloring to your regular white cakes.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:53am
post #6 of 19

Things that remind me of my visit to Hawaii are pineapples, hibiscus, lei, lush green tropical leaves, coconut, sea shells, and rainbows. I saw at least 3 rainbows while there. Your friends certainly are very lucky to go there to live. The island is beautiful, the people are beautiful & friendly and it is definitely a tropical paradise.

I have a sheet cake that I made a border to with a very large leaf tip and hibiscus done in BC, to give you an idea.

If I were to make this cake, I would do a round cake and pipe the large leaf as a border around the cake and then pipe hibiscus or frangipani around it as if it's a lei. On the top, I would pipe two palm trees in an curve around the cake and use a small tip leaf to pipe out the leaves coming out. You can use a round tip to make the trunk. I would write out Mahalo and their names. Mahalo means goodbye. Check out the gallery and you can see some beautiful icing work with graduated horizon/sky that looks like a tropical sunset. It would be gorgeous as a background to the writing and palm trees.

I love the idea of the different colored layers. Try coconut extract to flavor the icing with and a pineapple filling. Yum!

Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:13am
post #7 of 19

I would do a passionfruit/pineapple/coconut flavoured cake, with lots of GP hibiscus and frangipani flowers, and glossy green GP foliage. I also love the idea of writing "Mahalo" on it icon_smile.gif

bmarlow001 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:21am
post #8 of 19

Mahalo from what I am being told means Thank you... does anyone else know differently? I thought Aloha was Hello and goodbye but then again I do not speak the language so... lol

Evoir Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:50am
post #9 of 19

I have no idea, LOL! I was just echoing the previous posters assertion it mean farewell. Fromt hat assertion I assumed it meant 'farewell' as opposed to 'goodbye' (for which youwould use Aloha. You know, kind of like the difference between "au revoir" and "adieu" in French icon_smile.gif

I will have a look for you, because I would hate to give the OP the wrong impression!

Evoir Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:57am
post #10 of 19

Okay - this is pretty cool!!

Hawaiian Words & Phrases

Aloha Kakahiaka - Good Morning

Aloha Auina La - Good Afternoon

Aloha Ahiahi - Good Evening

Aloha au ia 'oe - I love you

Aloha nui loa - Very much love

Kala mai ia'u - Excuse me

Mahalo - Thank you

'A'ole pilikia - You're welcome / No problem

A hui hou - Till we meet again

Pehea 'oe? - How are you?

Maika'i no au - I am fine

'O ia mau no - Same as usual

'A'ole - No

'Ae - Yes

Kolohe - Rascal

Pupule - Crazy

Akamai - Smart, Clever

Hau'oli La Hanau - Happy Birthday

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou - Happy New Year

Mele Kalikimaka - Merry Christmas

'O wai kou inoa? - What is your name?

I would personally write "A hui hou" on it for such an event cake icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:04am
post #11 of 19

Pinacolada icing! Im drooling over here just thinging about it. crap I need a towel!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:09am
post #12 of 19

I have a Hawaii themed cake on my pics...don't know if you would like it or not

LovesPekes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovesPekes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:22am
post #13 of 19

Not sure if you are l looking for decorating ideas or ideas for cake flavors. I just made a cake for my daughter's 9th birthday that was a luau/ Hawaiian theme. You can view my cake at http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1382105

I used the orange dreamsicle recipe for the cake flower, colored the icing like someone else has posted, and then made very simple flowers out of fondant for a lei and misc decorations on the cake. I had a lot of compliments on it and it was really fairly easy to make.

Hope you find the cake that is just right for you,
Kim C

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:46am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlow001

Mahalo from what I am being told means Thank you... does anyone else know differently? I thought Aloha was Hello and goodbye but then again I do not speak the language so... lol

Thank you for catching my mistake! thumbs_up.gif I did have aloha first, but changed it. LOL. I was only there on vacation for 5 days, so pardon my mistake. icon_smile.gif

bmarlow001 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #16 of 19

Oh no problem.. it was funny because I was showing my sister in law what I was going to do and she gave me a funny look and told me it meant Thank you! lol oh well icon_biggrin.gif I think I like the "til we meet again" I think that is very fitting.

So I have decided what I am going to do;

I will make the bottom layer blue and put palm trees around a 10", make the 2nd tier yellow with those really cute circles that have cut out circles in them and put the surf board sitting in the front with the til we meet again phrase and then on my 3rd tier I will have it pink with the frangipani flowers around it with a bow on top with the little spiral things coming out of it. It kind of reminds me of a Hawaiian theme/ celebration cake but I think it will be cute. I already made the trees and the flowers and I'm getting ready to make the tropical paradise cake here after I take a nap icon_rolleyes.gif Has anyone ever made that cake? I guess i'm just supposed to throw all the ingridients in and mix it together? If anyone knows please let me know!

Thank you so much for everyone's help! I dont know what I would do without CC!
LL

bmarlow001 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:33pm
post #17 of 19

The cake is done and it was a hit! I posted it to my pictures if anyone is interested in how it turned out icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you all so much for all of your help!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:19pm
post #18 of 19

Does anyone know what "Happy Anniversary" is in Hawaian?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm
post #19 of 19

Does anyone know what "Happy Anniversary" is in Hawian?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%