Can I Freeze A Fondant Covered Cake?

Business By bennett5 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 5:20am by bennett5

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 4

Heres my problem....My daughter graduates high school next week and I planned to make a stacked book cake for her BUT, I have family coming in 2 days before (the same amount of time it will take me to perfect this whole thing) We have 3 kids then my 2 small nephews will be here along w/my sister and brother-in-law. My house is cramped already and now I have to worry about - NON-CAKE-PEOPLE trapsing around the house at all hours when Im trying to work. I know you all understand what Im saying. NON-CAKE-PEOPLE arent careful people, especially my sisters' fam. They WILL be staying w/us (no hotel) so can this be done??? Or should I just plan on being in Hell???

3 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 4

i have frozen cakes covered in satin ice and they did just fine on thawing. just let them thaw in the box. if your using an airbrush that doesn't do so well after freezing as the colour beads up. otherwise i dont see a problem doing it.

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:05am
post #3 of 4

I had to freeze this cake:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kavingate/3286632989

It was just fine after thawing. I froze it in the box, and covered the box in saran wrap. It was thawed the day before by moving it from the freezer to the fridge, and then out to room temp a couple of hours before the party.

My friend said that it looked perfect, and it was beautifully moist. Yay!

icon_smile.gif

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:20am
post #4 of 4

Thank you sooo much ladies, I think Im going to go for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%