What Are Your Favorite Cake Books?

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm by Cake4ever

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 12

I was wondering what cake books that you absolutely love and can't live without? I'm wanting to start my collection and want to get the ones that you think are best. The cakers on these boards are amazing and I bow to your judgement.

I'll compile the list and post it in a word doc so everyone can see it easily. If you want, you can even give your favorites in different categories (Baking, Children's Cakes, Fondant, Techniques, Flowers, General, Novelty, Wedding, etc.) but certainly don't have to. Thanks - I can't wait to see your favorites!!! thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 12

Hi!

You're probably going to get a lot of responses, as we're all pretty passionate about our cake books! Personally, the ones I go back to often are Nicholas Lodge's International School of Sug arcraft books. They cover a lot of subjects in each volume, so there's a lot to learn and try out. The cake cookbook I go back to most often is our own Sugarflowers' (Michele Foster) cookbook "The Sugar Fix." You can order that at www.lickthespoonproductions.com

HTH!
Deanna

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 12

Out of curiosity, do any scratch bakers have "antique" cookbooks that they won't part with? Which ones are the most useful?

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 12

I like Debbie Brown's books for ideas but they are small cakes and some of the instruction could be better (I'm the only one in the world who feels this way though). icon_biggrin.gif I really like Confetti Cakes and Confetti Cakes for Kids for ideas too.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 12

I love Toba Garrett's, "The Well Decorated Cake"

Now that I am advancing in the gumpaste/sugarpaste arena, I love,
Leslie Herbert's Complete Book of Flowers. It's the one my instructor relies on as well.

Cake Mix Doctor. God bless her, what more can I say?

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 12

I like the Whimsical Bakehouse book (great ideas with chocolate) and Nicholas Lodge's books- especially the third one. I enjoy looking at the pictures in both of the Confetti books.

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

I like Debbie Brown's books for ideas but they are small cakes and some of the instruction could be better (I'm the only one in the world who feels this way though). icon_biggrin.gif I really like Confetti Cakes and Confetti Cakes for Kids for ideas too.

I thought I was the ONLY one in the world that felt this way! icon_rolleyes.gif

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #8 of 12

Debbie brown is my favorite!

emlashlee Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #9 of 12

I saw that Toba Garrett's Professional Cake Decorating's book was on amazon for $53. Is it worth it?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #10 of 12

Well I am just about an antique myself icon_biggrin.gif

But but but I have the original red Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook 1950 or 1951 I think it is. It was Mom's and it is so torn up but it's priceless to me. So I'm not sure what constitutes an antique but there's that.

Well I do actually have older books than that somewhere come to think of it but none more precious.

I love Margaret Braun's book, Cakewalk, because she describes the mental process--the inspiration and the craziness that is creating a cake. Hers is a red book with gold edged pages. C'mon, it doesn't get any better than that, huh.

I love and have learned from all my cake books.

I also really like Kerry's book, Romantic Cakes--they are so different.

emlashlee Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:22am
post #11 of 12

Here is a list of the favorite books named so far. This sure is a good start! Does anyone else have any favorites?

Nicholas Lodge's International School of Sugarcraft
The Sugar Fix by Michele Foster (Sugarflowers)
Books by Debbie Brown
The Confetti Cakes Cookbook by Elisa Strauss & Christie Matheson
The Confetti Cakes for Kids by Elisa Strauss & Christie Matheson
The Well-Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett
Lesley Herbert's Complete Book of Sugar Flowers
Cake Mix Doctor
Whimsical Bakehouse books
Cakewalk: Adventures in Sugar by Margaret Braun
Romantic Cakes by Kerry Vincent

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

I saw that Toba Garrett's Professional Cake Decorating's book was on amazon for $53. Is it worth it?

A good friend of mine has it. It is more of a professional culinary school text. I liked it, but I did not wind up buying it. I love the Well Decorated Cake book. I think it is sufficient for my needs.

Don't forget Whimsical Bakehouse. I have used the book many times. She is generous with her recipes and instructions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%