Freaking Out! Thaw Or Carve Frozen?????

Decorating By missyd4e Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 2:21pm by mixinvixen

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 4

So, I froze my cakes because I love how they hold the moisture this way. When I thaw them I leave them comletely intact in the wrapping before opening. I froze my cakes and this morning when I woke up this morning I had in my head that I would take the cakes out of the freezer and carve them frozen, like I have read on many posts here, BUT then I realized that I would have to unwrap them frozen. UGHH! As you can tell, I have never carved a cake and now I don't know what to do.
The cakes are due tonight. Will they loose all their moisture if I unwrap them frozen and carve them???? HELP!!! What do I do?
TIA

3 replies
MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 4

They will be fine, carve them and wrap back up if they are not completely thawed, even if they are they will be fine.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 4

After carving it, try wrapping it again while it thaws if you are worried.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 4

i carve all my cakes frozen, really really helps with crumbs and also lets you get a really sharp cut line without ripping.

time got away from me over the weekend, and my cakes came to just above room temp before i could get to them...it ended up setting me back by about 2 hours and minus a cake because when i went to cut and ice the miniature rubber duck for the smash cake, it was ripping and tearing..i had to throw that layer away, and quickly put the other ones back in the freezer and let them refreeze quickly...it was a dream after that!

if you do have to ice after room temp, just use a pot of boiling water and heated metal spatulas to get a smooth, non ripping strip of icing laid down. i usually only do one swipe per spatula, and just keep trading them out until done crumb coating. works well in a pinch!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%