Mmf Or Mff Or Satin Ice Fondant??

Decorating By katherinem Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm by lngo

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:06am
post #1 of 23

I have always made marshmallow Fodant because the 1st fondant i ever used on a cake (testing it out on a Easter Family Event) was Wilton's. It tasted like cardboard - nobody would touch it.

So i switched to Marshamallow and everyone loves it - but its a bit of a pain and a mess to make and sometimes there are problems with tearing and other times its fine. I was trying to find something that still tastes good and rolls out easily.

I saw some posts on MFF and i've heard that Satin Ice is one of the better store bought fondants and i have a cake supply store by me that sells it pretty cheap - $12 or so for 5 pounds.

So i was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on Satin Ice Fondant or on MFF versus the MMF i am using now.

Thank you in advance for any help/input.

22 replies
mccowen73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccowen73 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 23

I have used mmf and satin ice but my favorite is fondex. It can be rolled very thin and and taste good.

katherinem Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #3 of 23

My husband just brought home some of the satin ice and compared to the MMF it tasts like playdough we both agreed.

anyone know if the MFF taste any good or is any easier to use - i'm just a little frustrated with the MMF tearing.
The satin ice rolled out like a dream but the taste isn't what I would want to eat on a cake.

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:55am
post #4 of 23

I can only comment on the satin ice. i love it. it rolls out nice, doesn't tear (unless you roll it super thin) and i think the flavor is pretty good. personally though, i don't even eat icing so i'm not about to eat a bunch of fondant. it's the whole texture thing that gets to me.

the mmf and mff are totally on my list of things to try but with 20 lbs of satin ice i can't bring myself to do it yet.

kakealicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakealicious Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 23

I've always used MMF but found that in FL it gets really sticky and soft and would always tear on me and get tons of air bubbles. So, I decided to try Michele Foster's updated fondant this week and it works like a charm and tastes good too. The good thing is that most of the work is done in your mixer so there's virtually no sticky mess like MMF. Also, you can replace the cream in the recipe with a flavored coffee creamer and it gives you a lot of options. I tried the hazelnut biscotti this week and it was awesome! I heard the white chocolate macadamian nut was out of the world too...just wish I could find it. MFF rolled smoother and was easier to work with. If you roll it out on a sheet of vinyl you virtually have to use NO PS, CS or shortening to roll out. MFF and vinyl are the the perfect combination. Just experiment and see what works for you. HTH!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:57am
post #6 of 23

MFF is great! The taste is so good, no chemically taste as with Satin Ice. Satin Ice is great, and I use almost as much as MFF, but I can't deny that there is a packaged taste to it. I quit making MMF awhile ago, couldn't stand the thought of the horrific mess it makes. MFF makes virtually no mess.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:15am
post #7 of 23

Hi,
I mainly use satin ice just because its always been a "old faithful".
product for me,
icon_smile.gif

katherinem Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 23

I am going to try to make the MFF today - I just can't do Satin Ice - I can't give someone a cake that has something covering it that I wouldn't even eat. That's the part that i do like about MMF - everyone loves it and the entire cake fondant and all - always gets eaten.

So hopefully the MFF will taste as good as the MMF

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 23

I like the Fondx brand. It taste good and is very easy to work with.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 23

kmoreton...you will love the MFF and never look back! icon_smile.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 23

I have save the MFF and plan to try it. Sounds like it must be good.

katherinem Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #12 of 23

I was able to get everything but the glycerin at the grocery store - i went to 2 different ones - would michael's carry this - where can i get it?

katherinem Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 23

Never Mind - called Michael's and they have it.

Is hope this is on the taste scale close to Marshmallow Fondant and not Satin Ice, Wilton, etc.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoreton

Never Mind - called Michael's and they have it.

Is hope this is on the taste scale close to Marshmallow Fondant and not , Wilton, etc.

No it isn't even close, I'm afraid. icon_sad.gif

It is 100 times better icon_lol.gif ....Wilton can't even be compared to camel urine when it comes to tasting bad. Excellent for dummy covering, that's it. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #15 of 23

I've never made MFF (I use my own recipe when I need to make homemade), but I use Satin Ice regularly and I LOVE IT!! it tastes great (my customers go nuts for it... they eat the figures and all!), it handles beautifully, and it comes in a range of colors that you can blend together to make custom shades, so I NEVER have to mess around with kneading in tons of gel or paste to get the color I want (that alone makes it worth it!)

yanci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yanci Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #16 of 23

Im new to fondant and have never made MMF but I did try to use Satin Ice a few days ago and had the worst experience with it. I started working the fondant and it was fine but the minute I put the color it lost its consistency and I had to get rid of the whole thing and get an emergency pack of Wilton (it doesnt have the best taste but the consistency always work for me). Can anyone tell me what could have happened? It seams like most of you have good reviews for Satin Ice.

katherinem Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I've never made MFF (I use my own recipe when I need to make homemade), but I use regularly and I LOVE IT!! it tastes great (my customers go nuts for it... they eat the figures and all!), it handles beautifully, and it comes in a range of colors that you can blend together to make custom shades, so I NEVER have to mess around with kneading in tons of gel or paste to get the color I want (that alone makes it worth it!)

Well maybe its because we've tasted the marshmallow fondant because we bought a container of Satin Ice last night and both my husband and I tried it and it tasted like playdough compared to the MMF to both of us.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #18 of 23

I've never eaten playdoh, so I really can't compare the two icon_wink.gif

hehehe j/k

katherinem Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:18am
post #19 of 23

I finished make the MFF tonight and i know it has to sit 6 hours or overnight in a "heavily oiled saran wrap" but i still took a little taste and oh my goodness you were all right!!! It taste great and it wasn't a marshmallowy mess to make either and the consistency even before i put it in the plastic wrap was great. I can't wait until tomorrow to roll it out over my 3d purse cake!! No more tearing or mess!! Yeah CC - I love you guys!!

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:28am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoreton

I finished make the MFF tonight and i know it has to sit 6 hours or overnight in a "heavily oiled saran wrap" but i still took a little taste and oh my goodness you were all right!!! It taste great and it wasn't a marshmallowy mess to make either and the consistency even before i put it in the plastic wrap was great. I can't wait until tomorrow to roll it out over my 3d purse cake!! No more tearing or mess!! Yeah CC - I love you guys!!

party.gifparty.gif Yay!

mrsclox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsclox Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:39am
post #21 of 23

I don't believe I know what MFF is...

I feel dumb.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:04pm
post #22 of 23

MFF is Michele Foster's Fondant ... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-1-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html

MMF is marshmallow fondant.

Nothing dumb about it. There is a thread on here somewhere with Cake Central acronyms. I don't know what a bunch of them are, so I probably need to find it myself.

Edited to add ...

Here is the acronym thread ... http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2926&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=acronym&&start=0

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #23 of 23

I'm new to fondant too, so I'm still trying to get used to the taste. I've tried Wilton, vanilla Satin Ice, MMF, and MFF. I have to say I was not fond of Satin Ice. It might taste better than some of the others out on the market, but it seems to have a strong artificial taste to it.

The MFF doesn't really have a taste outside of powdered sugar, and it sort of melts in your mouth. I've never had a bad experience with this recipe except when making the Chocolate variation. The chocolate MFF only seems to work for me if I use it right after mixing. It seems to always get dry if I wait the 6 hours for "ripening" even if I add more glycerine and shortening.

The MMF is messier, but not as messy as I was expecting since I do most of the mixing in my KA mixer (dough hook). I've always had success with this too as long as I use enough powdered sugar and shortening. It seems to maintain pliability pretty well too.

Those are just my initial impressions of fondant though. I try to read all I can on CC, and thanks to all the members, I've learned tons. I wouldn't have even considered making my own fondant without the help of so many CC'ers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%