What Gauge Wire?

Decorating By JP Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 9:23am by brincess_b

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #1 of 3

Hello!

What gauge wire do fellow bakers use for shooting stars and other flying fondant accents? How do you stabilize the wire so that it does not fall from the weight of the accent piece? Are the accents attached to the wire with royal icing or threaded through the actual accent piece?

Any guidance would be appreciated! I have admired so many designs with hearts, stars letters and the like on this site. For a hobby baker like me, the talent you are all willing to share through CC is awe inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

2 replies
jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 3

Hi JP. I use 18 or 20 gauge wire. Insert a straw into the cake and then the wire(s) into the straw. I then put melted chocolate into the straw to make sure the wire(s) don't move around.
HTH Jen

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:23am
post #3 of 3

most people use between a 16 and 24 guage wire, but it depends on the weight of the item, and the look you are going for. if you want it straight you need thicker wire, if you like a bendy look, you need a thinner one.

you can put the wire into the item, use some edible glue on the end of the wire first. you can lie the wire on the back, attached with a pad of fondant/ gumpaste, chocolate, royal, bc, whatever.

the wires are not really food safe, so shouldnt be stuck into the cake, you can put them inside a straw or flower pick in the cake, filled with fondant/ chocolate/ bc for support.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%