*****baking/decorating Timeline****

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 9:42am by Rylan

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 10

Saturday my boy and girl are having a superhero party and each will have their own cake. Only one tier of each cake will be actual cake, the rest will be dummies. I also have an order for 75 cupcakes that will be picked up late Sat. night(The party is on Sun., but for some reason they want to pick them up the night before-10pm).

My Question: How should my schedule/timeline look? When should I bake the cakes? When should I bake the cupcakes? When should I decorate the cakes? etc...

9 replies
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 10

Okay. No one wants to chime in here? a little advice?? how would you do this??? anything??? somebody...anybody....everybody....nobody....lotsa body???? IDK....just trying to get an answer..lol

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 10

come on now, 30 views and I'm the only one replying.....guess I'm on my own...

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 10

Hey, I am no expert on this but....you said only 1 tier of each cake would be cake, the rest would be dummies. How many dummies will there be? What kind of decorations are they going to have? Are the cupcakes decorated or just iced?

Since I decorate with buttercream only, I would bake all of the cakes on Thursday evening and make my buttercream and mix the colors. Friday morning I would get up and do the decorating.

I don't have little ones any more so I don't know how to factor that in.

Saturday I would enjoy the party.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 10

You can bake everything now & cool & wrap well & freeze until you want to decorate. Otherwise I am doing a cake for Friday night, will bake on Wed, crumbcoat on Wed, & ice on Thursday, will add choc covered strawberries on Friday. And they are picking up Friday afternoon. I am doing chocolate shavings tommorrow to put on top.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 10

I'll give u a bump...my timing is ALWAYS off and I'm really quite slow. I think it will all depend on how fast you decorate and how difficult your design is for the cupcakes and for your kids cake.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

Hey, I am no expert on this but....you said only 1 tier of each cake would be cake, the rest would be dummies. How many dummies will there be? What kind of decorations are they going to have? Are the cupcakes decorated or just iced?

Since I decorate with buttercream only, I would bake all of the cakes on Thursday evening and make my buttercream and mix the colors. Friday morning I would get up and do the decorating.

I don't have little ones any more so I don't know how to factor that in.

Saturday I would enjoy the party.

Kind of late...didn't know I actually got replies!!! lol
One cake will be 3 tiers(2 dummies) the other is 2 tiers(1 dummy), Both will be covered in fondant with various superheros(batman,spidey,superman and wonderwoman, supergirl). The cupcakes will have icing with a hello kitty face on top(I have a cutter for that)

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 10

It depends on the design and how busy you are with your own things. I usually bake about 5 days before I defrost my cakes. I wrap it with layers of plastic wrap then put it in a ziploc bag and wrap the big ones in foil. I haven't frozen cupcakes but I've heard other people do it. You can also start making some of the decorations ahead so it will have a lot of time to dry. You can also start on your dummies ahead also.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

It depends on the design and how busy you are with your own things. I usually bake about 5 days before I defrost my cakes. I wrap it with layers of plastic wrap then put it in a ziploc bag and wrap the big ones in foil. I haven't frozen cupcakes but I've heard other people do it. You can also start making some of the decorations ahead so it will have a lot of time to dry. You can also start on your dummies ahead also.

Since I'm covering the dummies in fondant, I was worried that if I decorated the dummies before-hand, the fondant may dry out or the color may fade...

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:42am
post #10 of 10

It will dry out if it is done so much ahead of time but it wouldn't matter "for me" since it won't be eaten anyways. But if you prefer it soft, I would suggest that you make it the same day as you are covering the cakes or while waiting for the filling on the other cakes to set. I've never had fondant/gumpaste fade on me, I make sure it avoids direct light.

For future projects, try getting the food coloring that doesn't fade. I forgot the name but hopefully someone will chime in and let you know.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%