Writing On Cake

Decorating By Karenelli Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm by SweetMelissa2007

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 14

I have terrible handwriting. What is the easiest way to write on a cake. I cover all my cakes if fondant if it make a difference. I have a cake coming up and they are requesting quite a bit of writing and I am very nervous to have to do this. HELP with any suggestions you may have.
Thank you.

13 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 14

a lot of people print out the writing in whatever type of computer font works with the design, in whatever size they need. cover over it with a clear piece of acetate or wax paper and copy the writing with royal icing, let dry...buttercream, freeze...thin gumpaste ropes, mold and dry...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 14

Presses! Wilton and some other suppliers make plastic presses - all you have to do is press it on the cake and it leases the letters for you to 'draw' over w/icing.
crystalina1977's suggestions are great too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Presses! Wilton and some other suppliers make plastic presses - all you have to do is press it on the cake and it leases the letters for you to 'draw' over w/icing.
crystalina1977's suggestions are great too.

Its the only way I can do it because my cake-writing (freelance) sucks!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 14

I do the computer font thing. I size it to whatever size I need, pick my font and type out my message. I place parchment paper over my message and tape them both to the table. I usually use RI, but you can use BC and then freeze. The trick is to have your icing consistancy just right, so that it flows easily, but isnt runny. I use a palette knife to remove the letters gently once they have dried, and transfer them to the cake.

Another good tip is for the fancier writing, print it out in BOLD so that the letters are a little thicker and easier to see/trace.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 14

I would suggest the wilton presses, stenciling or just get the letter cutters.

jenna15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna15 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks to Karenelli for posting this question cuz I too have had the worst time with writing. I have fairly nice writing but when it come to writing on cakes it's horrible!!! I did a cake that I was somewhat happy with until I did the inscription and then I hated it!!! I will definitely try to frozen BC or RI trick next time!!! Thanks again!

dovelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dovelady Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 14

Oh the presses sound cool! I just looked them up on Wiltons site. I see they have patterns too, like scrolls. Gotta get me some. So you just press into the cake then go over it with icing?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 14

A tip I use for writing on the cakes (just for getting it straight) is using a cheap laser level ~ set it so it is level with the cake and the laser lays right across it - no lines on the cake and you can write in a perfectly straight line!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

A tip I use for writing on the cakes (just for getting it straight) is using a cheap laser level ~ set it so it is level with the cake and the laser lays right across it - no lines on the cake and you can write in a perfectly straight line!

That is a wicked idea. Going to raid DH's tool box for his laser level icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 14

i always use my projector to help me write. although you may not want to invest in one of those just for writing, but if you do any kind of drawing its a necessity.

TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #12 of 14

On fondant, I've had some good luck with alphabet stencils. I just lay the stencil down and color it in with either a food coloring marker or gel paste thinned with vodka. Just be careful when you move to the next letter that you don't smudge the previous ones. If you have a Cricut machine for scrapbooking you can cut a custom stencilicon_smile.gif

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

thumbs_up.gif That's a terrific idea. Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 14

Laser level-who woulda thunk it! great idea!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%