How To Make The Perfect Cupcake In Size?

Baking By LadyAlmuina Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 10:42pm by TheKookieWench

LadyAlmuina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyAlmuina Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 17

Ok, So i'm a newbie but i've made many cupcakes for fun.... the only thing is; like i said" for fun" they always come out of the baking cup and its always a mess icon_cry.gif still managing to me very tasty...

So how can this be fixed?

I would love to make some presentable cupcakes icon_lol.gif with the top "ROUND" icon_lol.gif

My goal is to make a pretty fondant top cupcake....

Can you guys HELP!!!

Thanks in advance!!

16 replies
ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 17

One method is to use a pair of scissors and clip the edges that over hang, then ice etc... the other , I read somewhere(and does work) is to only fill your cupcakes 2/3 full, that way the top can crown properly. hope this helps some.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 17

I always use an ice cream scoop - the kind with the lever - to fill my cupcakes. Or you could a cookie scoop. This way you get the same amount of batter in each cup.

Cakes_By_Bright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes_By_Bright Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 17

It also depends on what type of cupcakes you are making. I bake from scratch and I can use a 1/4C (not leveled off) to fill my vanilla cuppies and they come out very pretty and domed perfect for icing. icon_smile.gif

Now my darn scratch chocolate cuppies I had to keep experimenting with until I figured out I should use about 3 tbsp so that they won't overflow when baking icon_mad.gif . I was actually using tablespoons until I saw on my little conversion table thingie I have on my fridge that I can use 1.5oz and so I since then started using this small measuring cup that measures up to 1.5oz.

So, in my recipe book I have marked in a little corner how much I should use for each recipe. What I do with some when I'm experimenting is that I fill the tins differently. Like I'll do a row of this measurement and then another row of this other measurement. Trial and error is usually my way of working. icon_wink.gif

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 17

[quote="Cakes_By_Bright"][color=green]It also depends on what type of cupcakes you are making. I bake from scratch and I can use a 1/4C (not leveled off) to fill my vanilla cuppies and they come out very pretty and domed perfect for icing. icon_smile.gif

Yes! I agree about the 1/4 cup -the scoop I use is exactly 1/4 cup - that seems to be the right amount for me too I bought it online - they were listed as "ice cream dishers" on a restaurant supply site and they come in different sizes.

HappyCakesRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCakesRose Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:28am
post #6 of 17

I have learn to scoop out my with 1/4 cup too. I shake my cupcake pan for a minute and then put in. So far so Good. Good Luck!!!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 17

I have a large ice cream scoop for regular cuppies and a teeny one for minis. Makes it all gp so much faster!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 17

I can never get the same amount by using a measuring cup because I don't have the patience for the last drop or scooping out each time...LOL
I don't have a handy scooper with the wiping blade yet either.
So last night I poured my batter into a gallon ziplock and snipped off a small corner and piped it in each cup. Less mess for me and I was pretty good about eyeballing it to and just tossed the bag.
Now if only my oven was perfectly level. I never noticed it before because I alwasy level my cakes anyway. But you can't do that with cuppies-and now I understand the obsession over all the small stuff!

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:12am
post #9 of 17

sadsmile,

I just made 14 dozen cuppies using my ziploc bag today. I have been doing this everytime I make cupcakes and it really is easier than scooping to me. I kept dribbling with the scooper!!!!!! btw, for a really large batch of batter, I just fill 2 baggies (gallon size), then I can do all my washing up while they are baking.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:37am
post #10 of 17

How do you use the ziploc bags? I've used the scoop and I just make a dribbley mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfun

sadsmile,

I just made 14 dozen cuppies using my ziploc bag today. I have been doing this everytime I make cupcakes and it really is easier than scooping to me. I kept dribbling with the scooper!!!!!! btw, for a really large batch of batter, I just fill 2 baggies (gallon size), then I can do all my washing up while they are baking.

dolcebaci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcebaci Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:42am
post #11 of 17

I also use the ice cream scoop....have ever had a problem... icon_biggrin.gif

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 17

Mickeebabe, just get a gallon ziploc baggie, turn the top back, (so you don't get batter on the closure part) and fill with your batter. Close, then snip an opening in one corner of the baggie. I hold the baggie in one hand (like a football cradled in the crook) and use the other hand to pinch and release the batter into the pan. Close the baggie before moving to the other cupcake, and let your dribble stop, move to the next one and release your pinch on the corner. I hope this makes sense, as sadsmile mentioned, it is soo much easier. When you are finished, just toss the baggie. If I have more batter than I can use in the oven for one baking, I just put a clothespin on the opening and stuff in the fridge. By the time the first batch has baked, I have all my dishes washed and I can relax while they bake.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you. You make it sound so easy. I can't wait to try it on my next batch of cupcakes. : )

Quote:

Mickeebabe, just get a gallon ziploc baggie, turn the top back, (so you don't get batter on the closure part) and fill with your batter. Close, then snip an opening in one corner of the baggie. I hold the baggie in one hand (like a football cradled in the crook) and use the other hand to pinch and release the batter into the pan. Close the baggie before moving to the other cupcake, and let your dribble stop, move to the next one and release your pinch on the corner. I hope this makes sense, as sadsmile mentioned, it is soo much easier. When you are finished, just toss the baggie. If I have more batter than I can use in the oven for one baking, I just put a clothespin on the opening and stuff in the fridge. By the time the first batch has baked, I have all my dishes washed and I can relax while they bake.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 17

Sadsmile, what an excellent idea! And Havingfun, thank you for that equally excellent explanation! You know, I absolutely LOVE cupcakes.......but I HATE the mess of getting the batter into the papers. I've tried spooning, cupping, ice cream scooping, and pouring straight from the bowl. MESS CITY!!!!!!!! But the bag idea. Wowsers! Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:05am
post #15 of 17

I don't think I'll do the ziplock bag because somehow I will make a bigger mess than what I do with the scooper. I have managed to figure out how to use that one with minimal mess. icon_smile.gif However, I was thinking they have those dough dispensers for pancakes or doughnuts that would probably work well for cupcakes. I have used a small style one for filling those little communion cups and it works great for that! You never dribble if you do it right with those.

kss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kss Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #16 of 17

thumbs_up.gif

Thanks bunches, What a super cool idea! I have used zip lock bags for filling cupcake pans, but I never thought of closing the open end with a cloths pin to prevent dribbles, between batches.

Quote:

TheKookieWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheKookieWench Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:42pm
post #17 of 17

I normally use my scoopers (ordered them from King Arthur) and they turn out somewhat fine. I say somewhat because due to my mother's uneven apartment building, my cupcakes will still come out crooked! icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%