Not Usually Idealess! But How On Earth Do I....

Decorating By anabelz01 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 12:21pm by jaybug

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:26am
post #1 of 18

.... make a dolls house cake - that doesn't look like just a house?

Let me explain, I have had a request for a dolls house cake for a lady who is getting an expensive dolls house from her family as a gift. They have asked for a dolls house cake to go with the theme.... but I can't think of a way of making a dolls house that doesn't just look like a scaled version of a house... what makes it a dolls house?

I thought about having the front open, but how would you go about doing the inside?

I have looked for pictures but haven't really found much, since you google dolls house cake and you get tons of little cakes that go in dolls houses lol.

Also does anyone have any ideas as to keep in the theme of dolls houses but not a house maybe?

Any help would be much appreciated I'm at a loss on what to do!

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

17 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:36am
post #2 of 18

Possibly a faux fondant/gumpaste front, partitioned off into rooms with furniture? This can be done 3-D or flat depending on how much time you want to spend on it.

I hope it makes sense. Like building out the front of the house cake prior to putting the roof on.

Enjoy your day!

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:41am
post #3 of 18

I have two ideas for you.

1. Make a tiered cake with square cakes. Make the dollhouse as a topper and then scatter furniture made from fondant or gumpaste around the cake as decoration. I like this idea better.

2. Make the base of the dollhouse as the cake. You could cover it in green fondant to resemble grass and add bushes, etc. Then do the dollhouse out of fondant or gumpaste on top. Your dollhouse in this one would probably be over a foot high. You would have to make all the pieces ahead of time so they can dry. This would probably be tough.

It early so that's all I have. hth! icon_lol.gif

jimandmollie Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:44am
post #4 of 18

Ooooh wait, I thought of more. If you go with option #2 then you could buy real dollhouse furniture to put in there and she could keep it to use in her real dollhouse!

jimandmollie Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:46am
post #5 of 18

I just found this one by dstippy that I think is really cute too.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1188409

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:01am
post #6 of 18

I had the idea of a two-tier cake like a solid house, but 'cut away' a room (or two) into one corner, which reveals one room of the dolls house...then as another poster said, either use real or GP figures and furniture. You can make fondant/GP rugs, curtains etc...piping gel 'water' in a bath.

It sounds like a fun project icon_smile.gif Good luck!

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:10am
post #7 of 18

If I understand.... you want to make a dollhouse cake that doesn't just look like a miniature house? I googled a little, cause it sounds like fun. One idea would be to make a little house, but other toys next to it, scaled down. Or a 3D lady, holding or sitting next to a small house.

But my favorite is a dollhouse at Sugar Mama's Bakery blog. She actually gives a detail of how to make it. Surprise is that there is actually cake built into back of the house. Two sides - one which looks like front of house and one which looks like inside. See the blog below:

http://apieceofcakenashville.blogspot.com/2009/01/3d-dollhouse-cake.html

Can't wait to see what you come up with icon_smile.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:11am
post #8 of 18

I saw a dollhouse, that was inside and out. front was facade of house, turn it around and it was carved out with furniture and all. My books are packed away right now so I cant look it up. But i'm sure it was wilton, maybe someone else saw it.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:32am
post #9 of 18

How about doing a take on this magnificent gingerbread dress shop I found?
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1377477

It is truly amazing!!!!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:55am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun

If I understand.... you want to make a dollhouse cake that doesn't just look like a miniature house? I googled a little, cause it sounds like fun. One idea would be to make a little house, but other toys next to it, scaled down. Or a 3D lady, holding or sitting next to a small house.

But my favorite is a dollhouse at Sugar Mama's Bakery blog. She actually gives a detail of how to make it. Surprise is that there is actually cake built into back of the house. Two sides - one which looks like front of house and one which looks like inside. See the blog below:

http://apieceofcakenashville.blogspot.com/2009/01/3d-dollhouse-cake.html

Can't wait to see what you come up with icon_smile.gif

Yes, thats the one I saw, now I'm sure it was a wilton yearbook, I'm going to have to dig mine out now and look.

anabelz01 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #11 of 18

Oh wow guys you have really outdone yourselves! thanks for all the help, I now have a base to start on! I love all the suggestions... the SugarMamas Bakery Blog is a great help!

Now I can go back to my friend with some ideas and see what she thinks, i'm still waiting for her to send me a pic of the dolls house they are buying... oh i wonder if its a miniature cake shop... cos that would be fab! or a dress makers house would be so cute! Ok the ideas are starting to come to me now lol!

Either way you have all really helped!

I will most certainly keep you all updated!

Cheers ever so!

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 18

I'm so glad I ran across this post. I have a dollhouse to do next week-end.

A new client runs an adult daycare, and one of the ladies is wanting a dollhouse.

I have the house cake pan, and was going to do the back with just 2D cutouts, like the one picture posted from dstippy. But the other cake from SUGARMAMAS Bakery was awesome. Atleast I'll have something else to go by too.

Anabelz01- Be sure and post pics. when you are done, I may have to steal some ideas LOL, unless mine is done 1st.

Lisa

anabelz01 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:54am
post #13 of 18

Sorry brightbrats yours is first! Mine isn't due till end of June, I wanted to get a head start on it incase I needed to make a whole load of furiture or something! I have decided to go with something quite simple, this cake is my 3rd that week (part time baker so 3 a week is my max) so the client agreed to have something quite simple, but elegant (am just hoping I can pull it off!! I am going to do the dolls house as a topper, on a decorated cake (not decided on how to decorate it yet though - maybe a few flowers or something. Its a pitty though because I would have loved to go the whole hog and done a sculpted cake, sadly this order came last so I just won't have the time, plus they are a bit tight and probably wouldn't have paid out for the sculpted one anyway! Thinking about it I really should start getting on with planning the topper, end of june isn't that far away!

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #14 of 18

I have this image in my head of a single tier round cake in an ivory or cream color. Put a large round "rug" on top in a light green. Sitting on the rug is a girl with a skirt on and tucked around her and she's peeking into a dollhouse. Girl and house would be 3d models.

anabelz01 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:55pm
post #15 of 18

oh that sounds so cute! Will definitely be doing the rug, and will definitely have a go at the little girl... so cute! icon_smile.gif

anabelz01 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:10pm
post #16 of 18

Hi here is the finished result, didn't make the rug or the little girl as just didn't have the time but am still happy with the result! The lady really liked it so if their happy I'm happy!

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Anna icon_smile.gif

here is the link

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1406091.html

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:20pm
post #17 of 18

Your dollhouse cake is very cute! icon_biggrin.gif

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:21pm
post #18 of 18

Your dollhouse cake is very cute! icon_biggrin.gif