The Great Scratch-Off...yellow Cakes

Decorating By Lita829 Updated 31 Jan 2018 , 3:49pm by MBalaska

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:50pm
post #121 of 425

MoreCakePlz - Serious_Cake's directions are in the youtube video with the recipe. Just type in "Yellow cake recipe" and hers is the first video to pop up. The recipe is pretty easy, it doesn't require whipping egg whites, just sifting. I have whipped the whites and folded them in seperately before, and it makes very, very little difference with this cake. If I am adding a lot of heavy ingredients (like fruit purees) I add an extra 1/2 tsp. baking soda and it comes out just perfect. Your pictures look about right, you couldn't have overbaked it too much.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #122 of 425

Thanks for the info, sayhellojana. I looked at the video and did everything the same expect whipping the egg whites. And now Iâm thinking I UNDER cooked the cake (thatâs a first). I baked at 350 for 35 minutes and not the 40-50 minutes that the video suggests.

Regardless, it was moist and tasty. Thanks for the recipe.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #123 of 425

[quote="moreCakePlz"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Sylvia Weinstock's, on the other hand, reminded me of why I am exclusively a scratch baker. You just cannot get that kind of refined, delectable, quality result out of a box. I don't care what anyone says. superb!

So, what rating what you give this cake?

All of these great reviews!! I have to try Sylvia's cake out!! I cant wait until I have some free time!!

Maryjsgirl, that looks delicious.

Wait.... I'm not seeing Maryjsgirl's picture! Is it just me icon_cry.gif

CasualKitchen, can I also get a copy of you comparison spreadsheet? I'm addicted to charts and comparisons too. A few months ago I was into Red Velvet cakes and I made a spreadsheet with about 10 different recipes so I could see how they differed. I'm one exciting mama.

Here is the direct link to the photo.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h47/maryjsgirl/randomsss018.jpg

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #124 of 425

Wow.........thank you all so much for doing this. I've really enjoyed reading the reviews on some of the recipes I've been wanting to try.

I'm a Sylvia Weinstock Classic Yellow cake fan, and since I've had such success with it I've been hesitant to try something else.

One question I do have about the SW Classic Yellow cake is...........Which recipe did you all use?

I have her new book Sensational Cakes and in the back of the book are some of her recipes.

She has changed the Classic Yellow cake recipe slightly...........the new recipe calls for 1/2 tsp ginger and 1 cup of milk. Everything else is the same.

I've tried it once with the ginger and milk and it comes out extremely moist, a lot more moist then without it as you would imagine. I couldn't really detect any "ginger" taste at all, but it is only 1/2 tsp.

Have any of you tried the *NEW* Sylvia Weinstock Classic Yellow Cake recipe yet?

In fact I'm making one this afternoon.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:23pm
post #125 of 425

Hello All....the SW recipe I submitted came from the internet at About.com. I googled the recipe and thats what came up.

I haven't tried the new recipe yet but it sounds yummy icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:41pm
post #126 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Hello All....the SW recipe I submitted came from the internet at About.com. I googled the recipe and thats what came up.

I haven't tried the new recipe yet but it sounds yummy icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah the internet one is the one I've always used so when I got her book I thought it was a misprint icon_surprised.gif I was like......"wait a minute that isn't the correct ingredients."

Lita829 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #127 of 425

Hmmmm...I wonder icon_confused.gif Maybe it was a misprint. I'll have to get the book because I want to make the correct recipe, even though the one I got off the internet was DELISH icon_smile.gif

kalaboo2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalaboo2581 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #128 of 425

dkelly, could you please tell me at what point she adds the milk and ginger? I can't wait to try it! Thanks!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:27pm
post #129 of 425

I will only have a budget for one, so I'm gonna go with the modified version of cakeman raven's red velvet. Will bake it tomorrow probably.

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #130 of 425

I have the Sensational Cakes book...

the recipe calls for the addition of ginger to be sifted along with the flour, baking powder and salt...

the milk is to be added after the egg yolks have been blended...along with the vanilla...

if anyone needs more detailed instructions, please let me know and I'll post the entire recipe...

mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #131 of 425

ericaplh,

If it is no trouble, I would love to see the entire recipe.

Thanks,

Melanie

Deb_ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #132 of 425

ericaplh...........Thanks for answering for me, I just logged on so I hadn't seen that question til now.

I made it with these 2 added ingredients again this week and let me just say this cake melts in your mouth...............any mix baker who says scratch cakes are dense and dry needs to try this recipe.

I can't bring myself to NOT use it! It's the best......really. icon_biggrin.gif

ericaplh Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:26pm
post #133 of 425
mlwideman Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #134 of 425

Thanks ericaplh! Quick question for anyone who has tried this cake, have you tried adding the eggs all in one step before? If so were the results similar?

ericaplh Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #135 of 425

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #136 of 425

Thanks for posting that, ericaplh!

I can't wait to try it. A whole extra cup of milk must make this a very different cake from the original. Has anyone tried both to compare? I'll be sure to post the results of my own comparison.

Deb_ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #137 of 425
Quote:

Thanks for posting that, ericaplh!

I can't wait to try it. A whole extra cup of milk must make this a very different cake from the original. Has anyone tried both to compare? I'll be sure to post the results of my own comparison.

Yes I have. I always made it the *original* way (no milk/ginger) but then when I received this book as a gift a couple of months ago I noticed the recipe had been changed.

The *original* is delicious........the *new* with the addition of the milk/ginger is *over the top* light, fluffy, super moist and melt in your mouth delicious.

I think you'll really like it with the addition of the milk. As far as the ginger, I could taste it in the batter, but not so much in the baked cake.

mlwideman..........one time I tried K8's method of adding the eggs together without whipping the whites. For me it was more dense and I prefer the extra step of whipping the whites and folding them in, it makes for a lighter cake. thumbs_up.gif

mlwideman Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #138 of 425

dkelly,

Thanks for the response!!

Lita829 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #139 of 425

Thanks for posting the new recipe, Epicaplh. I'll have to try it. I guess I better invest in her book icon_wink.gif .

Also, thanks DKelly for the comparison between the "original" and the "new" recipe. I'm sure that there was a noticeable difference between the two because of the milk. I'm really looking foward to trying it icon_smile.gif.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #140 of 425

I think the milk will make the cake less denser than the recipe that just calls for sour cream.
with all the cakes tested which one would you recommend for carving??

artscallion Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:11pm
post #141 of 425

Thanks, dkelly!

Deb_ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #142 of 425

You're welcome mlwideman and artscallion! Let us know what you guys think when you try it.

Deb icon_smile.gif

artscallion Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #143 of 425

It's in the oven now...hehe. I was making a gingerbread cake for an order and the recipe didn't give me big enough layers. Unfortunately I was out of molasses and couldn't make another. So I thought I'd make Sylvia's recipe, but with the various gingerbread spices (cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger) added to give me a subtler, lighter version that I could alternate layers with the traditional version.

I ended up rethinking this and just adding 3 Tbsp ginger to the Sylvia recipe to give me much lighter, bigger contrasting layers, which will still compliment each other. I also didn't have sour cream, so I substituted buttermilk. But I do that often without any negative results.

This will all be filled and frosted with a brown sugar butter cream that has gingersnap crumbs and ginger preserves mixed in, then covered with an adaptation to white chocolate MFF that also includes the gingerbread spices. If you thought fondant had taste problems, you haven't tasted this. (yeah, this customer reeaally likes ginger)

Delie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delie Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:33am
post #144 of 425

Can the Sylvia Weinstock Classic Yellow cake be halved or doubled without any problems? Thanks!

Deb_ Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:41am
post #145 of 425
Quote:

It's in the oven now...hehe. I was making a gingerbread cake for an order and the recipe didn't give me big enough layers. Unfortunately I was out of molasses and couldn't make another. So I thought I'd make Sylvia's recipe, but with the various gingerbread spices (cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger) added to give me a subtler, lighter version that I could alternate layers with the traditional version.

I ended up rethinking this and just adding 3 Tbsp ginger to the Sylvia recipe to give me much lighter, bigger contrasting layers, which will still compliment each other. I also didn't have sour cream, so I substituted buttermilk. But I do that often without any negative results.

This will all be filled and frosted with a brown sugar butter cream that has gingersnap crumbs and ginger preserves mixed in, then covered with an adaptation to white chocolate MFF that also includes the gingerbread spices. If you thought fondant had taste problems, you haven't tasted this. (yeah, this customer reeaally likes ginger)

OMG I want a slice of this........hey I live 10 minutes from Providence, I'll be right over!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Let me know how the scraps taste, I may have to try this too!! Yum!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #146 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delie

Can the Sylvia Weinstock Classic Yellow cake be halved or doubled without any problems? Thanks!

Yes as long as you scale up or down by weight, not volume.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #147 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaplh

Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake:

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/FOOD/news/02/09/sylvia.weinstock/yellow.cake.html

This link takes me to the original recipe (no ginger and sour cream). Is this the same for other folks?

If so, the new recipe can be found here: http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/ild/2009/cakes/yellow-cake.html

I'm gonna try it today. Never mind that I have about ten other 6" yellow cake layers in the freezer. icon_biggrin.gif

Has anyone tested cupcakes yet?

artscallion Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #148 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

OMG I want a slice of this........hey I live 10 minutes from Providence, I'll be right over!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

haha! Bring the milk!

Deb_ Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:06am
post #149 of 425
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

haha! Bring the milk!

thumbs_up.gif

Lita829 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #150 of 425

Thanks for the link, CasualKitchen. I think I'm gonna get the book, also.

I apologize if the recipe that I submitted from About.com is not a SW original. I was under the impression it was but I guess I was wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%