Confetti Cakes Sushi Cake: How Much Cake?

Decorating By kdbobo Updated 31 May 2009 , 7:01pm by kdbobo

kdbobo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbobo Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:28am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone.

I am thinking of making the sushi cake from the Confetti Cakes cookbook and am a little confused about the instructions. Specifically, the recipe appears to call for two half-sheet cakes; but in the assembly it sounds as if only one is actually needed. By my calculations one half-sheet should give you a 2" high tabletop, two 2" high legs and some cake left over for making the sushi.

I know quite a few people have made this; did you use both sheet cakes? Am I overlooking something here?

Thanks!

3 replies
mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 4

I'm planning on making it this week so I'll let you know

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:00am
post #3 of 4

in my photos. there is one... i made it last year for my nephew.. i modified the directions.. because , i knew he would like buttercream, more than a fondant covered one.. i baked a 9x13... cut it to 12x6. torted and filled... put on same size board(foam core).. cut the legs from styrofoam.. iced the cake in blended chocolate buttercream icing and the legs.. .. husband helped me mark the board.. painted all with black americolor... made chop sticks from gumpaste.. made bowl from gumpaste.. flavoring for sauce..got small rounds of cake in sushi rolls.. used candy clay for the cucumbers, etc.. cake under the tuna and salmon.. shrimp.. candy clay for the rest.. no fondant.. no gumpaste. candy clay.. my nephew , said of all the cakes that i have made him.. this was the best... i had cookies and cream filling in a butter cake... then , the buttercream(american) for the frosting. i was very pleased with it and how it looked. i thought on it for a year.. then decided to do it for him.. he loves all that sushi and stuff.. he was so proud.. he took it to work and shared it.. i knew he would..

kdbobo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbobo Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, y'all! Anyone else got any insight on whether I should bother with two cakes? I'm planning to do my shopping tomorrow--don't want to buy more stuff than I need!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%