Letting Cake Sit Out Over Night With Crumbcoat?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 1:19am by Elise87

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 10

Question - Is it best to let the cakes rest overnight before placing on final layer of buttercream or fondant. If I do will the cake dry out?

I am trying to figure the best way to decorate without any mishaps. I freeze me cakes, take them out to partically thaw, crumbcoat, place on fondant or buttercream. I have had couple of mishaps with bulging and ballooning of bottom layers. TIA

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 10

Letting the cakes sit for awhile after crumb coating allows the cakes to settle and helps avoid bulges, bubbles, etc. I will sometimes crumb coat in the morning and ice in the afternoon. If I schedule myself right, I'll crumb coat on one day and ice/decorate the next.

I never refrigerate my cakes ... they sit on the counter.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #3 of 10

I almost always allow my cakes to "rest" over night after I torte, fill and crumb coat.

I place a book wrapped in plastic wrap on top of the cake and place it in a cake box. The weight of the book helps the cake settle and any bulging that may happen can be fixed before I do my final coat of icing or fondant.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #4 of 10

I agree!!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:32am
post #5 of 10

I always let mines settle and sometimes on the counter ( usually in the fridge). I prefer loosely wrapping it with plastic wrap because I'm afraid that my dry climate will dry things up. Well good luck on your cake.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Letting the cakes sit for awhile after crumb coating allows the cakes to settle and helps avoid bulges, bubbles, etc. I will sometimes crumb coat in the morning and ice in the afternoon. If I schedule myself right, I'll crumb coat on one day and ice/decorate the next.

I never refrigerate my cakes ... they sit on the counter.

This is what I do....even though I haven't decorated very many cakes. icon_smile.gif

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 10

Does everyone let it rest even when using fondant? The crumb coat will stop it from drying out correct?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 10

As long as the cake is completely coated with the crumb coat then it will not dry out. Even when covering a cake with fondant it is best to let the cake rest for a while before covering it.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #9 of 10

I always let my cakes rest after filling & crumbcoating, especially if I'm using fondant. As what others have said, it allows the cake to settle so that the finished cake is less likely to have bulges. My sched looks something like this:

day 1: bake/freeze
day 2 (or around 3 hours later): torte, fill, crumbcoat, chill, spackle
day 3: (or around 3 hours later): chill slightly jut to set spackle, frost/cover with fondant
day 4: final decorations

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 10

i just want to double check something with you guys. With the buttercream that consists of just butter, icing sugar, water and flavouring can that be left out without refrigerating? n for how long?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%