Good Grief

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 31 May 2009 , 3:15am by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 13

I made a cake for a teacher who was retiring. I dropped it off and was adding a few touches. This is when a teachers aid walks in and tells me she has been decorating cakes for 30 years. We have small chit chat while I continue working. She says "hey, is this that fondant stuff?" as she picks it up some fondant I'm making finishing touches with and starts squishing it in her hands. She then takes her finger and starts poking at the cake.

They brought a whole class of 2nd graders in to look at the cake and not one of them touched it, but the adult did. icon_rolleyes.gif

12 replies
Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 13

good grief is right! With 30 yrs under her belt you'd think she would have seen a piece of fondant!!!!!

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #3 of 13

good grief is right! With 30 yrs under her belt you'd think she would have seen a piece of fondant!!!!!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #4 of 13

...I think I would have smacked her hand. icon_eek.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:07am
post #5 of 13

Oh I would have went off on her! Everyone here knows...DON'T TOUCH MY FONDANT!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:09am
post #6 of 13

That was horrible.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:11am
post #7 of 13

you didn't say anything to her??
why did you allow her to do that to your cake and your fondant??

I would have politely told her once to please not touch it, if she touched it again i would have asked her to please step back in no uncertain terms

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #8 of 13

If she truely decorated for 30 yrs she would have never touched your cake. I think I would have said some smart A## comment like "No its buttercream" Now heres your sign. LOL

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #9 of 13

Maybe she should have made the cake if she knew so much about decorating. I would have told her then you should know not to touch the "Cake"!!

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #10 of 13

Jeez... that's pretty rude!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #11 of 13

I've so had people touch my cakes and cupcakes and gumpaste flowers while I am doing demos. And 9 times out of 10 it is an adult. I had someone swipe their finger across the top of a cake while I had stepped away. She said she thought it was a fake cake. Well fake or not, keep your hands off it!!

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:47am
post #12 of 13

We should make up t-shirts that say "DON'T TOUCH THE CAKE!" and wear them out in public. Maybe they'd see one and figure it out... I fuss at people for even getting within three foot of the cake...

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:15am
post #13 of 13

I didn't say too much, I think my face said more than words ever could. When she went to hand me back the fondant I told her "No thanks, you can keep it." Thank goodness I was almost done and had more fondant of that color made up than I needed or my comment would have been much different.
More teachers started coming in for lunch at that point and she moved to a different table. *probably because she saw the knife I was getting ready to serve with and was worried about that look in my eyes icon_lol.gif *

Hmmmm.....T-shirts when working on a cake or doing a demo would be a great idea. On the back it could say OR RISK LOOSING A FINGER.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%