Need Help Baking In A Bowl!!

Decorating By babyhugs Updated 31 May 2009 , 12:15pm by babyhugs

babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone give me any tips on baking a cake in a bowl?? I want to do the frog cake from Debbie Brown's book and I'm wondering if the cake will get done in the middle. Help please icon_redface.gif Thanks!

5 replies
lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 6

I've baked in a glass bowl before. I didn't have any problems.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #3 of 6

It depends on the size of the bowl. I've baked in an 8" top-diameter bowl (the Fall Flower Basket cake in my gallery), an it was fine. The cake as about 4" tall when done, which was perfect.

Just bake at a lower temperature, like 325, to keep it from getting done too fast around the edges. If it's a large bowl, you should probably use a heating core. A flower nail would probably not be long enough.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 6

I agree, a lower temp and a flower nail should do the trick

FionaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FionaB Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:06am
post #5 of 6

Just cooked two litre bowl cakes (super mario) and they came out perfect the sides where a little darker then normal, but once trimmed the cakes were perfectly cooked all the way through.

Fiona

babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone, the frog uses a 10 cup and a 2 1/2 cup bowl so hopefully they will be ok. I think I'll do a trial run before my sister's birthday just to make sure. I'm still new to most things cake and second guess myself alot icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%