Bake For Family In Home Kitchen, Others In Licensed Space?

Business By KitchenConvert Updated 31 May 2009 , 11:57pm by KitchenConvert

KitchenConvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenConvert Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum but have learned a lot already! This is my first post and hoping that others can help. I will be beginning to bake cookies out of a rent-by-the-hour licensed facility, and am wondering--if I make cookies as a personal gift for friends/family (after all--even though I want to sell cookies as a business, what good is having these skills if you can't "gift" some freebies?), do they have to be made in the commercial kitchen space? Or can you make them at home, but not "label" them as made by your business (but maybe have business cards available if people ask?)? I'd like to continue making cookies as gifts for close friends/family, but don't know if I can eat the cost of renting the kitchen space to do so ($20-25/hr!)! Any advice would be great! Sorry if this topic has been explored...I wasn't even sure how to search for this type of question!

6 replies
imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 7

I dont have a business yet, but I am working on it and I have done some research. In my state now I cannot sell food items from a home kitchen, but next year we will most likely to moving to TN and it just so happens I can there.

If you are giving the goods to friends and family, it is perfectly ok to make them in your home kitchen. Just like for someone who didnt have a business at all, they will make them from home. They are gifts. The only exception to that is in some states if the food is a donation (for a homeless shelter or orphanage, etc) THEN the rules for selling goods would still apply. But like I said, you will be fine making them for family and friends from home.

I think having business cards available is fine. Bc if they were to order a cake and buy it from you, it would be made in the space you are talking about. Where they get the business card wouldnt matter.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by imamommy1205

I dont have a business yet, but I am working on it and I have done some research. In my state now I cannot sell food items from a home kitchen, but next year we will most likely to moving to TN and it just so happens I can there.

If you are giving the goods to friends and family, it is perfectly ok to make them in your home kitchen. Just like for someone who didnt have a business at all, they will make them from home. They are gifts. The only exception to that is in some states if the food is a donation (for a homeless shelter or orphanage, etc) THEN the rules for selling goods would still apply. But like I said, you will be fine making them for family and friends from home.

I think having business cards available is fine. Bc if they were to order a cake and buy it from you, it would be made in the space you are talking about. Where they get the business card wouldnt matter.

What part of 10 C are you moving to???????

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 7

I PMed you K8.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 7

I agree! Would you question your mom for bringing an apple pie to Christmas dinner? No? Neither would I, so baking for family is just fine.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinaling47

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum but have learned a lot already! This is my first post and hoping that others can help. I will be beginning to bake cookies out of a rent-by-the-hour licensed facility, and am wondering--if I make cookies as a personal gift for friends/family (after all--even though I want to sell cookies as a business, what good is having these skills if you can't "gift" some freebies?), do they have to be made in the commercial kitchen space? Or can you make them at home, but not "label" them as made by your business (but maybe have business cards available if people ask?)? I'd like to continue making cookies as gifts for close friends/family, but don't know if I can eat the cost of renting the kitchen space to do so ($20-25/hr!)! Any advice would be great! Sorry if this topic has been explored...I wasn't even sure how to search for this type of question!

I agree with everyone else--if they're gifts for family and friends, there shouldn't be a problem. If you were using them to SPECIFICALLY promote the business, for instance by giving a free plate to the local bank/PD/school/whatever, then I'd make them in the commercial kitchen, just to be on the safe side. The business cards are pretty much irrelevant, because you're not baking them in your kitchen, you're probably ordering them from a business card place, anyway.

KitchenConvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenConvert Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input! Varika, that is a really helpful distinction--I have these little labels that go on my bags (sort of like a mini business card) and I didn't know if it was OK to label these "gift" cookies as "produced" by the bakery if I had really just made them in my kitchen. I'll stay away from that but still provide business cards. Of course my husband says that at those types of events, those are all my "clients" anyway so it's not like I'm getting new biz and then I'm just wasting time putting the extra labels on icon_smile.gif so there's his logic anyway and we ended up in the same place! Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%