Electric Extruder???

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 31 May 2009 , 9:07pm by DianeLM

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:35am
post #1 of 7

I have a 7 tier cake I just finished....but each base border was supposed to be a twisted braid. For the top two tiers I used my big extruder and I made a really pretty even little twist. But it was coming out SOOO slowly and then it seemed like it just stopped working. Anyway after seven tiers my carpal tunnel was going to be totally horrible.

So I just rolled all the rest by hand. And um, I hope its not too obvious to the crowd because its painfully obvious to me! Nice finely extruded border on the top two and slightly uneven and somewhat larger twists everywhere else! *sigh*

So does anyone make some kind of electric extruder for stuff like this? I just can't squeeze enough rope for all that border. thumbsdown.gif Especially when its only coming out like an inch a minute.

6 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know about an electric extruder, but if you can find the green one by makin clay it is a screw fed feeder (if that makes since) much easier on the hands then trying to squeeze out the fondant in a little clay gun.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 7

I have been looking for any type of extruder, that I don't have to order offline. No luck yet.

Kitagrl,
If it's the white and pink cake with gold trim, it's beautiful and it looks like you just made the twist a tad bigger as each layer got bigger. I wouldn't have noticed any thing different if you hadn't said anything.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 7

If you need a large diameter rope use the electric cookie press.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 7

Wow! Okay now I know, if I ever get a super huge cake order with lots of extruding, I can buy a super hugely expensive power extruder! haha. Thanks!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 7

Wow! That's a gorgeous cake!

I agree that the corkscrew style green Makins extruder is much easier than one that has to be squeezed.

But, more importantly, if you knead a good amount of shortening into your fondant, it will practically FALL out of the extruder! Sometimes while I'm twisting the handle down to where I expect resistance, I've got a 6-inch log of fondant coming out already!

ApplegumKitchen, that is one serious extruder! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%