Cake Completely Decorated And It Now Decides To Bulge!!

Decorating By Mommy2KnK Updated 30 May 2009 , 5:02am by kansaswolf

Mommy2KnK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2KnK Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:16am
post #1 of 4

Hi,
I made a simple 2 tiered cake. Crumb coated yesterday and just finished decorating for a birthday party tomorrow. In hindsight I'm pretty sure I used too much filling in the bottom layer. But my question is, will it continue to bulge until is collapses?? I keep checking on it, expecting the worse...but it seems to be holding up okay. I am having total anxiety that I will take the cake tomorrow and it will collapse on the table. What should I do??

Thanks so much!!
Leslie

3 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:28am
post #2 of 4

They only thing I can think of right now is re-do it but I don't think that is an option. Did you pipe a stiff dam and let it settle?

Mommy2KnK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2KnK Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #3 of 4

The cake was put together last night, stiff dam and all. I "think" it had enough time to settle, but now I don't know. I've never had a cake bulge before and I'm so nervous. I just keep staring at it and waiting for it to do something.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:02am
post #4 of 4

I had a cake do that the other day, and it wasn't really a bulge, the fondant had just come loose from the frosting. It didn't stick to the cake well, so I just pushed it back in, and it ended up okay... At least I had lots of extra flowers and whatnot to cover up the mistake! I was horrified when I discovered it the DAY OF THE WEDDING...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1372251

One of the times I *DID* have a cake slide/bulge, I propped it up, and once the fondant had dried, it was solid as a rock. Granted, you can still tell a bit, but the cake itself was saved...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1195143

I use my homemade cream cheese fondant, which probably behaves differently than other kinds, but this is my experience anyway... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%