leah_s Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #1 of 33

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

32 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 33

I had a 3 tier pickup earlier. And right now I'm finishing up a four tier for delivery tomorrow. Then one more four tier for delivery on Sunday. All in all a light week.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 33

Well I have nothing like the work you have leahs! But i am working on a 3D sculpted cake of Pablo from the Bakyardigans for a little girls first birthday, for sunday. My kids are in bed so I can finally get some work done!

leah_s Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 33

Hey, I had 7 weddings last week. I've barely recovered. There's always ONE weekend like that every year. And mine's over with!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 33

hey leahs, there are 2 of these topics going now.. hello? anyway, i finished making my grandson his birthday cake for tomorrow. he wanted and orange flavored one. now i am working on the wwe wresting cake .. due sunday.. made the wrestlers , last week. putting it all together. made one similiar for this client , last year.. whe wanted another one this year..

chefbetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbetty Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:52am
post #6 of 33

I finished the Sweet 16 cake due tomorrow, the bow is still drying and the clean up is a b***ch. I posted the pic.

tesh_diggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesh_diggins Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #7 of 33

Its the end of a busy month for me. I am used to only working on one or 2 cakes a month, this month I had 9. Its a lot for me, since I do everything in my kitchen at home, but thats the tale of a hobby baker. Anyway, I am working on my very last cake of the month. Its a very simple half sheet with lots and lots of buttercream roses for my favorite aunt. icon_smile.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:58am
post #8 of 33

I hardly ever time these days to post on Fridays...I am actually done with my orders for tonight. Today I decorated a Coach purse cake, graduation cake, popcorn bucket cake, harley davidson logo cake, bridal shower, 1st birthday jungle, star cookies and I think that's it. I had 15 orders total for the week and still have 3 more cakes to decorate tomorrow and some more cookies.

I miss getting on here but glad I can tonight. icon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #9 of 33

Finished Ooh and Aah cake earlier. Delivered it. Now I'm on "Sweet Sabbatical" until October 1! LIFE IS GOOD!

Beth in KY

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:01am
post #10 of 33

I just finished my first big cake! By big I mean three tier, 200 servings! My grandparents 50th anniversary is tomorrow and they're having a HUGE celebration and renewing their vows. I'm supposed to be singing, too, so now I have to go practice my Gram's favorite song!

Since this is my first big cake, PLEASE let me know how it looks! The gold ribbon turned brassy because of the shortening, but my husband said he actually liked the contrast. In the pic it looks orange leathery, but it's not in person - THANK GOD!!!!! I have another big cake (pretty much the same size) to do for next weekend, so any tips or ideas would be super!!!!

I used SPS, but I'm still terrified of driving it out of town tomorrow. Only 1/2 hour, but I probably won't sleep well tonight thinking about it!

Have fun caking tonight...don't stay up too late!!!!
LL

leah_s Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:02am
post #11 of 33

Wow traci, that's a lot of cake!

leah_s Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:03am
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

hey leahs, there are 2 of these topics going now.. hello? anyway, i finished making my grandson his birthday cake for tomorrow. he wanted and orange flavored one. now i am working on the wwe wresting cake .. due sunday.. made the wrestlers , last week. putting it all together. made one similiar for this client , last year.. whe wanted another one this year..

Don't know what to tell you other than this is kinda my "thang." I always call us to order between 10:30 and 10:45 ET, on the Cake Decorating Forum.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:06am
post #13 of 33

This month has been so busy for me. Last week I had 18 orders and the week before I had 21. Next week will be so difficult...I have like 22 cakes. The good thing is I have them spread thoughout the week. Most will hit on Friday and Saturday.

I am buying a 5th refrigerator next week...never enough room to put them all!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:07am
post #14 of 33

hehe I feel like a fraud, I'm baking cakes testing new recipes. I was asked to do my 1st wedding cake in a few weeks and thought I should probably come up with some cakes for the bride to taste. Last night I made my 1st batches of MFFondant and Nic Lodges gum paste, so I think I'll have a play with that tonight.

Johnahsmom, that cake is huge and very pretty

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #15 of 33

Hi all...I have had some busy fridays and havent posted on fncc in a while!!
I just posted my cute zebra shower cake today had a few others not so elaborate. I have 5 zebra of some sort cakes this weekend....I love them but they are time consuming.
I bought a 20 qt commercial mixer this week and it sure was nice to use it...but it IS huge!! I don't think I will be giving up the KA6 anytime soon!
Have a great weekend....thanks Leahs for the bulge tip....I wonder if I sleep with a tile on top of me if my bulges will go away!!!
Laura

leah_s Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:11am
post #16 of 33

jonahs, i you used SPS, the cake will travel just fine. I let a customer pick up a three tier earlier tonight. That actually what SPS was created for-customers moving their own tiered cakes. You'll be fine!

Just make sure you can lift that thing!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:12am
post #17 of 33

8:11 here in California....just finishing up baking for a wedding tomarrow.....three tiered white cake and one sheet cake. it will be fondant covered with swags on each layer......have done this one before and love the look....

Happying baking to everyone .......and a great evening....

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:18am
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

Don't know what to tell you other than this is kinda my "thang." I always call us to order between 10:30 and 10:45 ET, on the Cake Decorating Forum.

Oh, sorry....I thought I read that anyone who is up doing a cake and the thread hasn't started yet, to start one. My bad. icon_smile.gif

Well I'm finished anyway with my cakes...as finished as I'll get until delivery time tomorrow.

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #19 of 33

I don't have anywhere near the volume of baking/work that a lot of you ladies do (even on a busy week!) but I do have to prep for my cake club meeting tomorrow morning - we're working on TV dinner cupcakes (??!) - as soon as I give the kids a bath and put them to bed.

Have a great evening!!

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:31am
post #20 of 33

Wow, you all are sooo busy. I just finished making my first purse cake. I think it's god awful ugly. It's my first time sculpting and my first time with chocolate mmf (horrible experience). My friend thought it was just the cutest thing she'd ever seen...but she's a non-caker. It's so bad though that even non cakers could count the flaws...will post pic shortly...gotta upload it first. That's all until Sunday...my MIL birthday, she just wants something simple. I'm thinking a small 8" round with some roses.

Dont' work too hard tonight ladies...take some time to put up those toes and sip on something smooth. thumbs_up.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:31am
post #21 of 33

Brujalita--I love your quote. I am thinking of rereading that book when I go on vacation in a month or so.

Nothing going on tonight. I did pick up some Rice Krispy Treats at Target (they were on sale). My daughter and I are going to see if we can use them to make a shark to put on top of a cake but we won't play around with that until Sunday.

You all are so great. It's so interesting to hear and see all the projects. Best of luck to all and I am sure all the cakes will get done and make it to their destinations safely.

bakermommy4 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:47am
post #22 of 33

Ok, here it is and I always make sure to keep track of mistakes so they dont happen again...

Lessons Learned:

1. Make enough gumpaste in the needed colors because it is almost impossible to get the same results twice color wise.

2. Go ahead and invest in pre-made chocolate fondant. (Made it 3 times to no avail).

3. When carving....take a few steps back and view from a distance for evenness.

4. When everyone on CC says to work fast with the gumpaste...do listen.

Ummm, thats about it on this one. Thank goodness this was taken with my phone cuz my digital would've picked up ALLLLLL the flaws.[/img]

bakermommy4 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #23 of 33

oops...for some reason I can't post it here, I'll put it in my photos.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:56am
post #24 of 33

I finished up my cake for this week. Only one this week. A harley cake with chocolate frosting (done in a leather look) and royal icing details.
LL

leah_s Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #25 of 33

OK, I've been battling with a fondant ribbon for over an hour. It's finally on the cake. I'm off to bed!

LadyPol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyPol Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:19am
post #26 of 33

I am working on a 3 tier cake for a graduation open house. The gal is very artsy and creative and did not want a sheet cake.

7 weddings, Leah? I can't even imagine!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 May 2009 , 7:17am
post #27 of 33

I'm here! I'm here! I just got done baking the 3 tiers and making the fillings for my gift box cake. I'm doing 1 big box, 3 tiers, but all sheet cakes, 10x10 squares x 3 tall. I'm going to ice them all separately, then parchment in between, boards for all. I gotta get me some SPS. They sound like a dream.

I needed fillings, and had no time for scratch. I experimented with JanH's recipe for mousse from instant pudding mix. What a find! Thanks, JanH! And thank the Maker for the concept of having more than 1 KA around. I stabilized the whipped cream with gelatin, so it would keep better (it's going to be in the upper 70's tomorrow). Mixed the whipping cream in one, the pudding in the other. Folded them together, covered them, and popped them in the fridge.

The cakes and icing were scratch, just the fillings were experimental.

Flavors, you ask?

Strawberry cake with dried, partially reconstituted strawberries in it - cheesecake mousse (got the berries from the top shelf of the dried fruit section at WallyWorld - $4.50, but oh, so tasty). They'll reconstitute the rest of the way during the bake. Tossed them in some of the flour from the recipe so they wouldn't sink. It worked. Used the milk from the recipe to reconstitute the berries - the water turned pink.

Vanilla Bean cake with Dulce de Leche and Heath Toffee Bits filling.

Triple Chocolate Fudge with Cookies and Cream mousse (white chocolate pudding used).

Vanilla SMBC with chocolate clay decorations. I don't know what they'll be yet, but it'll be cute.

And I still have to make two trays of arroz con gandules (red rice and beans, Puerto Rican style) for a baby shower for about 80 people. It's gonna be a long night. Needed a break, so here I am.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 30 May 2009 , 7:31am
post #28 of 33

Mmmm that sounds good playing. I was trying to sleep, but I have a cake I am making for June 13th that keeps popping into my head. My first cake for someone who is not family or a close friend. My sisters MIL has asked me to make it for her sisters birthday where all of their co workers will be there. I was told .. Dark Choc cake, white BC icing, pink butterfly, not too busy, but nice. I plan to do RI 3D butterflies, maybe one medium sized, and a few smaller like a butterfly trail kind of thing,pink & white, on a sheet cake. No tiers .. though I really wanted to do it in tiers. I first thought of a few roses to go with butterflies, but they said no. So I am trying to figure out what else to do to make it seem not so blah looking .. spirals behind butterflies? ivy type of piping? Not sure yet that is why my brain will not shut down. I so want this cake to be really nice!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:23am
post #29 of 33

Well, those cakes I made were Da Bomb! They were so good, everyone went cuckoo over them. I was very pleased with the filling, but I think next time, I will make it the same day I fill. Because of the gelatin stabilizer, it got a thicker than I expected. It was good, but difficult to work with. I think if I make it the same day, and leave it on the counter instead of refrigerating it, it will be easier to work with. The plus side is that it didn't get weepy or oozy and make the cake all soggy and nasty.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #30 of 33

I have just finished all my orders for the week. The most I have ever done, because before now I was too afraid to take on too much. I had a baby shower sheetcake, really simple and small. Also two wedding cakes, the one was almost a disaster, before I left the driveway the tiers started to fall! icon_cry.gif Very scary! I was able to fix the bad spots and transported it separately, then put it together there. I really have to try the SPS out. Then had to drive quite a ways to deliver the largest order I have had yet, 180 cupcakes (first cupcake wedding I have done) with a 6" topper, and a grooms cake. That turned out great! I am just glad this weekend of orders is over, no more stressing until next weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%