Using Real Flowers On Cake... Advice Needed Tonight, Please?

Decorating By LadyPol Updated 31 May 2009 , 12:45am by JenniferMI

LadyPol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyPol Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 18

I am making this cake for my hubby's niece's open house ... I have not, as yet, worked with real flowers and am wondering what I need to do ... I know I probably shouldn't just stick the stems through the fondant, I should wrap them in something first ... any advice on what to use or the best way to go about this? ANY help would be appreciated - we are adding the flowers tomorrow morning!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southen/2732139484/

Thanks,

Sandra

17 replies
panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 18

I've seen them wrap stem in floral tape and put in frig until ready to insert into cake. Some people do it when they set up the cake, because some flowers tend to stain cake when they are real/fresh flowers. I haven't tried yet but I saw a demo on fresh flowers. Hope's this helps.

LadyPol Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 18

I wondered about floral tape .. because it isn't FDA approved/food safe .... hmmmm...

Thank you for your reply, though!

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 18

Floral tape contains latex which is a big allergy problem, most people use floral picks or straws in the cake then put the flowers in those.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 18

I used straws, just stick the stem through and cut off at the length you need, I pulled the stem out a little bit and piped a little BC into the bottom of the straw just so none of the stem was touching cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 18

Buy flower picks--I've been trying to find a picture for you online--they're just little plastic tubes --one end open, one end pointy and you stick the flower in there--but I can't find them anywhere--wilton used to make them. I know you need this for the morning--but straws will work great.

Or use straws--insert the stems into straws--trim the straw--you could plug the other end of the straw with chocolate or buttercream or something. Maybe a blob of fondant.

LadyPol Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 18

Thank you all so much!!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #8 of 18

The straw idea works well but you should only be using edible flowers. There isn't a problem with sticking the stems in the cake without the straw if you know for sure they haven't been sprayed with any chemicals. If you are getting them from a florist and not your own garden use the straws because all commercial flowers are sprayed in the green houses.

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:28am
post #9 of 18

The flowers from my garden (when I had a garden) had bugs in them.

Ballymena Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

You're right there. They have to be picked the day before you need them. Fully immersed in lukewarm water for about 20 minutes and then taken out and kept in a vase of water covered well with a plastic bag in your fridge until you need them. This hardens them and lengthens their life and the water soak should get rid of bugs though they should be checked carefully before using. Covering them tightly in your fridge keeps the gasses given off by fresh fruits and vegetables. Fruit gas, or ethylene, will reduce the life of your fresh flowers, making them get older faster.

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

Quote:
Quote:

You're right there. They have to be picked the day before you need them. Fully immersed in lukewarm water for about 20 minutes and then taken out and kept in a vase of water covered well with a plastic bag in your fridge until you need them. This hardens them and lengthens their life and the water soak should get rid of bugs though they should be checked carefully before using. Covering them tightly in your fridge keeps the gasses given off by fresh fruits and vegetables. Fruit gas, or ethylene, will reduce the life of your fresh flowers, making them get older faster.

So this way I can keep the bugs safe and happy in my frige instead of on my cake. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(just teasing you)

No seriously that's great advice. Thank you!

Ballymena Posted 30 May 2009 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

So this way I can keep the bugs safe and happy in my frige instead of on my cake.

Only if you throw in some dryer lint so they can cozy up to keep warm icon_rolleyes.gif

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2009 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 18

They don't wilt in the water?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 18

This is just my .02 opinion...NEVER and I mean never stick stems straight into a cake. Even if they are organic, stems can weep.... eewwwww...

I would tape them up first, then insert into a straw. You also could wrap foil around them. But whatever you do, make sure the cutters are aware of what you did, in case something happens to stay in the cake when the flowers are pulled out.

Jen icon_smile.gif

LadyPol Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:47pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks for the info, Jennifer! (Someday I'm going to meet you, LOL ... I was in Manistee today for the open house).

Niece ended up only buying 2 big red flowers, no roses ... I did stick them in straws to the best of my ability (huge stems + drinking straws = struggle to fit).

When hubby gets back with the car (ETA - my camera is still in the car, LOL) , I will post pictures of my not-so-great-almost-made-me-wanna-give-up-cake-decorating masterpiece! LOL

Thanks again, everyone, for the help! CCers are the best and this novice surely does appreciate you all!

JenniferMI Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:52pm
post #16 of 18

You were in Manistee (Hooterville) today LadyPol???? Do I know you?

Jen icon_smile.gif

LadyPol Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:17am
post #17 of 18

Jen,

You don't really know me ... I contacted you once about the diamond effect on a cake of yours ... and I ordered the diamond cutter and the quilting tool from you. Found out you were in Manistee and mentioned hubby has family there, the Granadas. You didn't know them, *smile* We were there in Manistee for their youngest's graduation open house!

JenniferMI Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #18 of 18

Ohhhh ok....sometimes it's so hard to keep people and their avatars straight!

Have a nice eveining. I hope we can meet sometime as well.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%