Wilton Fondant Vs Other Brands

Decorating By adree313 Updated 29 May 2009 , 10:51pm by Jan14grands

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 9

i'm sure this has been asked before by other newbies such as myself, but i'll go ahead and ask anyway...

i've seen several people on here say that wilton fondant isn't good and/or that they'd never use it. could someone please explain why? is it merely a taste thing? or something else? i've always used it, allbeit never loved the taste. always just thought of it as a decoration, not necessarily to be eaten. (i obviously don't do cakes professionally, mainly just for the kids in the family and some friends lol)

which fondants do you guys prefer and why?

8 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 9

wiltons is fine, it think it's the taste most people don't like. and to me, it's a little expensive. other brands i've heard of are satinice or pettinice but ive never used them...i tend to like MMF, marshmallow fondant, it's cheap and it tastes pretty good too. there are a ton of recipes here, i use rhonda's ultimate and i like it.

welcome =)

lainvest64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainvest64 Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 9

I am new and currently taking the Wilton Courses. My family, friends and even the Sunday School kids will not eat Wilton fondant. It is a different texture than buttercream (chewy) which they have an issue with and really does not have much of a taste except sweetness. I made my last fondant cake using the Michelle Foster Fondant recipe off of CC. My daughter said her Sunday School class really liked it and that it tasted more like buttercream. I too would like to know what fondant the professionals use and why. My sister says nobody likes fondant they just pill it off. I say it has to be good because people are not going to pay $1,000.00 for a cake they can not eat.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 9

I sue wilton brand fondant but only to make figures or bows, not to cover a cake with.

The only reason why is because of the taste. Other than that there is nothing wrong with wiltons.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 9

I honestly believe that brand is made from leftover toxic waste ... it is so nasty tasting. I use Satin Ice and Chocopan. Son said it (fondant) tastes ok but he doesn't like the texture.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 9

I think most pros think Wilton fondant is the absolute worst tasting crappy fondant on the market. It's fairly typical of Wilton products - pretty low end stuff. SatinIce I've found tastes good, and is easy to work with. Choco-pan I find a little too sweet, but easy to work with. MMF is too messy for me.

Liz23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz23 Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 9

I'm just a hobby cake decorator but taste is very important to me and I also like the marshmellow fondant and I also make a white chocolate fondant which is very good. I'm waiting for some samples of the Fondarific fondant which I've read here on CC are very good.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 9

thank you guys so much! i've always just used wilton because it is the most readily available. never thought of making my own, but now i'll give it a try. and i'll also try out the satin ice. again, thank you!

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 9

I am fairly new also, and started out using Wilton fondant, but as everyone stated, it doesn't taste good. I do use it in a pinch and it is definitely good for bows. But I love Fondx. It tastes really good and easy to work with. I haven't tried to make MMF yet, but that's my next adventure! Oh, and I ordered the Fondarific samples and they are good, but almost fake tasting flavors. That's just my opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%