Icing For Fake Cakes

Decorating By Debala Updated 29 May 2009 , 8:35pm by indydebi

Debala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debala Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 6

I'm looking for a icing recipe to use on fake cakes that can be displayed in a window. any ideas icon_sad.gif

5 replies
TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 6

royal icing is your best bet.

you should also use a craft spray protector on top of it after it dries... i cant think of the name of it right now...but its available at micheals or any craft store. but it helps the cake last a litle longer... because the cake will yellow being in a window.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 6

if you're going to use a coloring that includes red (purple, orange, pink, etc) make sure you invest in some fade proof stuff or your purple will fade to blue, your orange will fade to yellow and your red will...well, just fade away, potentially within a matter of days.

I use Chefmaster brand and it works great!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 6

You can cover them in all crisco buttercream, fondant, royal icing (white will yellow after time), Perma Ice (I think that is the right spelling) or spackle (for walls).

I believe the Perma Ice and I know the spackle can be colored with craft paints, so they colors shouldn't fade over time. I wouldn't use those with my regular cake supplies though.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 6

I did a fake cake for the Fair last year and i did regular Butter cream i even added the vanilla flavoring so it would be realistic and it work great just be careful when transporting it cause it will flake a little

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 6

I just use my regular BC without the flavoring or the dream whip (coz we're not eating it anyway). It hardens like concrete and scrapes off in sheets when I'm ready to change it. THey all sit in my shop window.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%