Oops!!! Forgot To Buy Vegetable Oil. Can I Substitute...

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 29 May 2009 , 11:18pm by Tita9499

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 16

melted butter or melted shortening?

This is for a chocolate cake.

15 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 16

I'm not sure, but I'd think not. Do you have any canola oil? You can substitute that.

Also, if it's a cake you're making, I think I read somewhere that you can substitute unsweetened applesauce for the oil.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 16

I have substituted softened butter for oil in chocolate cake MIX. It turns out beautifully. I probably wouldn't attempt it on a scratch recipe.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 16

I substituted softened butter. And I also substituted buttermilk for the water.

I have a new recipe! ha ha

YUMMY!

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 16

I substitute apple sauce for oil all the time. It does make the cake a bit denser but super moist.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 16

Mayonnaise.
It's primarily oil. You use the same amount of mayo as oil in the recipe. And for the record it doesn't affect the taste.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 16

I've heard mayo makes good cakes. Very moist, just don't know how much you have to use.

Tita9499 Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 16

VERRRRRY Moist!

And like, I said, since it's mostly oil, you use the same amount as the oil called for in the recipe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 16

Yes, you can sub melted shortening. My entire life growing up, my mom never bought oil because you could always "make" oil by melting shortening. This is pretty much the only way I ever made ANYTHING that called for "oil" before I started making cakes as a hobby/biz.

I'm sure there's some technical difference, but yeah ... in a pinch, you can melt the shortening and use that.

gersie123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gersie123 Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 16

This is why I love cakecentral!! You get some great tips!! I might try the mayo one time, just to check it out, would I need to use a full fat mayo or can I use a lighter version?

Tita9499 Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 16

I think low fat mayo is a travesty. You'd want the full fat mayo though.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 16

I use Mayo for ALL my cakes...... the low fat doesn't quite "get it".......

gersie123 Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:02pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I think low fat mayo is a travesty. You'd want the full fat mayo though.

Ha ha, low fat anything is a travesty. but I could just picture my DH telling me to use the low fat stuff to cut down on the fat. He is always doing that! I have done half applesauce half oil to cut down on the fat but usually I just pretend that I did for his sake, he he, ssshhh, don't tell him

Tita9499 Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:04pm
post #14 of 16

Why eat cake if you want low fat? Why make it low fat if you want cake? Eat a carrot for cryin' out loud, but don't defile the cake!

gersie123 Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Why eat cake if you want low fat? Why make it low fat if you want cake? Eat a carrot for cryin' out loud, but don't defile the cake!

Exactly! whenever I make a cake for our family he asks if I used the egg substitute, and the applesauce. yuck. He still eats it if I don't and I like it better. He is always trying to figure out how to make his favourite foods low fat. Doesn't help us much though, we are still both over weight.

Tita9499 Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:18pm
post #16 of 16

That's cause you're denying yourselves. It's like me with budgeting for shoes. If I say, "Oh, I'm not gonna buy shoes for a whole year" you'll catch me at the mall one day od'ing in a shoe store. I have to set aside a time where I can go and buy shoes, that gives me my fix and I don't go overboard when I get around a nice pair of shoes.
Make a cake...a real cake, not a punk cake with low fat stuff...and slowly savor it. Then you'll have your fix and you'll be good! Sorry to hijacK!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%