Dairy Free Cake And Bc?

Baking By shell62995 Updated 29 May 2009 , 5:58pm by shell62995

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 11

A bride needs a dairy free vanilla cake and dairy free butter cream. Anyone have a good one?
TIA icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 11

There are recipes for both in the book Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World. I haven't tried the cake, but the buttercream was actually pretty good and piped beautifully!

If you'd like the recipes, just say the word.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 11

dairy free items in your store are not dairy free so read those lables!

shell62995 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

There are recipes for both in the book Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World. I haven't tried the cake, but the buttercream was actually pretty good and piped beautifully!

If you'd like the recipes, just say the word.

'WORD' plz! lol icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 11

Easy, just sub soy milk for regular and soy maragrine for butter and use soy margarine with sortening for the icing and either water or soy milk for thinning the icing, if needed.

I do this all the time for my dairy allergic nephew - nobody will notice the difference - trust me!

shell62995 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Easy, just sub soy milk for regular and soy maragrine for butter and use soy margarine with sortening for the icing and either water or soy milk for thinning the icing, if needed.

I do this all the time for my dairy allergic nephew - nobody will notice the difference - trust me!

Does regular stores carry soy margarine or is it a specialty store item?

cupcakemkr Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 11

I get it at my regular market - you can also use Fleishmans Unsalted Margarine, it is dairy free (soy based) - has to be the unsalted, the salted is NOT dairy free.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

I'd just go ahead and do this, since she's actually tried it before and you'd only have to buy 2 special ingredients. The recipes I offered would make you buy like 5 things you'd only use for this one cake, then be stuck with.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 11

My stores carry Earthbalance and is is vegan

Vegan is what you look for.

http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/

Some margarins will tout non-dairy yet their natural flavors not listed and are whey or caseinate and are not vegan. So be carefull. Also anything with lactic and calcuim in it need to be looked up for the specific source be it cow/animal or vegtable or mineral.
Read those cake boxes lables too. Some DH mixes are OK some contain milk but all are processed in a facility blah blah blah.
It would be helpfull to you to find out if it is indeed a food allergy or just a dietary life style and how serious it is so you can go the extra mile for her protection.
I use soy milk and this spread and everything comes out nice. One note is too make the icing on the really thick side with less moistur and more powdered sugar! It has a tendency to get soft on it's own. Do 1:1 or 1&1/2:1 ratio with your shortning to buttery spread.

cupcakemkr Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 11

sadsmile is right - many non-dairy products still do have milk based products in them.

Fleishman's Unsalted Margarine has absolutely NO dairy in it at all - my SIL who is the dairy free pro due to her sons milk allergy has given this margarine her seal of approval - watch out for chocolate pudding mix too, it uses cocoa that was processed with alkali which is no okay for those with a milk allergy.

shell62995 Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 11

thanks for all the helpful info!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%