Glace Question?

Baking By ButtacreamRose Updated 31 May 2009 , 2:58am by cutthecake

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 11

Can you pipe details with glace? Very green to this site , but I"m already addicted. I've done a couple of cakes ,but would love to try my hand at cookies.

10 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 11

The answer is YES! If you look at my photos, all my cookies are done with glace. I thicken the icing until it is the consistency of peanut butter, then use a #1s tip to do all the outlining and details. It's hard on the wrist if you have a ton of cookies to do, but I think the results are worth the effort.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 11

I find glace to be too gloopy to pipe details. I do sometimes apply it with a pastry bag, but that's just to speed things up when I flood the cookie's surface. Then I apply royal icing details on the very dry (overnight) glace.

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks!Got a new onesie cutter I want to try and todetail them with flowers Will try the glace thanks again.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 11

I did onesies recently. The day before, I made little yellow peeps with royal - left them dry. Next day I did the cookies, with Toba's glaze, put the little peep on the cookie, then put a ruffle around the neck, arms, and legs with the rest of the royal using a small rose tip. They turned out really cute.
When I have left-over royal, I usually make little flowers, leaves, and maybe some hearts or whatever - that way I have those on hand to put on those last minute cookies. They keep forever.

cutthecake Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 11

Gemini,
Thanks for that information! I HATE having to make both the glace and royal, then coloring them both for the outlining and details and flooding. I'm so excited to know I don't have to make the royal to do the detail work. Would you mind answering a few more questions?
Do you do the outlining first, then let it dry before you do the flooded sections?
How long do you allow the outlines to dry before you flood the sections?
Do you allow the flooded sections to dry overnight before you apply any details to the surface?
I'm so excited about this method. Thanks for your input!

GeminiRJ Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Gemini,
Thanks for that information! I HATE having to make both the glace and royal, then coloring them both for the outlining and details and flooding. I'm so excited to know I don't have to make the royal to do the detail work. Would you mind answering a few more questions?
Do you do the outlining first, then let it dry before you do the flooded sections?
How long do you allow the outlines to dry before you flood the sections?
Do you allow the flooded sections to dry overnight before you apply any details to the surface?
I'm so excited about this method. Thanks for your input!

I know I responded to your questions in a PM, but for those who are wondering the same things, here's how I do my cookies:

I use a #4 tip for large areas, a #2 tip for smaller areas. I pipe a line of icing around the perimeter of the area I want to ice, then immediately go back and fill in with more icing in a zig zag pattern. I do not fill the area in completely with icing. I use a tapered offset spatula to smooth out the icing over the entire area. I usually start with the lightest color icing first, moving from lightest to darkest. I try to pick a second color to do that does not touch the first. By the time I'm done with the second color, the first is dry enough that the third color can touch it. Once the cookie has all the colors iced, I like to let it sit overnight before adding the final outlining and details in black. I worry that the black will bleed into the other colors. Sometimes you don't have the time to wait...then you just hope no bleeding occurs! I use a #1s tip for all final outlining and details.

Hope that explains my method. If anyone has any questions, just PM me and I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.

Susan

cutthecake Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:24am
post #8 of 11

Gemini,
Your method sounds brilliant!!! I can't wait to try it. Too bad I have no need for cookies this weekend.
Can you please tell me just how thick you make the glace? The recipe for glace on CC is:
1 lb. confectioners' sugar
3/8 cup milk
3/8 cup light corn syrup
flavoring as desired
How much more powdered sugar do you use? Or do you reduce the liquid? I'm sorry for all the questions. I am so intrigued by this method!
Thanks again.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 11

Yes yes, glace rocks!

GeminiRJ Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 11

cutthecake, this is the recipe I start with:

3 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
3 Tablespoons skim milk (you can use water or other type milk)
3 Tablespoons corn syrup
15 drops brite white food color

Mix the milk and the corn syrup into the powdered sugar until it is well combined (I just use a bowl and a spoon). Add the brite white and mix well. Here is where I play with the consistency of the icing. I want it to be about the consistency of white school glue...maybe a bit thicker. I will add powdered sugar to thicken, or cornsyrup to thin, until I reach that consistency. Then, I divide and color the icing. For the final icing, I will add enough powdered sugar to my icing until it is the consistency of peanut butter. There's no specific amounts to go by...it's all whatever I need to get what I want.

cutthecake Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:58am
post #11 of 11

Gemini,
Thanks again for all the information. Can't wait to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%