Frozen Cake Dilemma. Please Help ?????

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 30 May 2009 , 1:52am by minicuppie

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 8

I freeze my cakes in advance. They always taste moist and delicious when thawed out. This morning I took my cakes out to defrost and noticed that one of my cakes had about a 1/2" dent in the bottom of it from something that it was resting on =( =(

I don't know how badly the cake looks because it is still wrapped up in foil and saran wrap. My question is, will my cake be ok? Should I bake another cake? Will the dent even out when completely defrosted? If I use this cake will there be any "settling" that can occur once I have it decorated and iced? Has this ever happened to any one?????

Thank you =)

7 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 8

i dont think that this cake is going to level out once thawed. the size of the dent will really determine if the rest of the cake will be affected.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 8

I just had that happen to me. The dent does not come out when the cake thaws. Fortunately, my dents were on the sides and were not big, so I just used my BC to fill them, and 2 days later, there was no settleing. If the dent isn't too big - you should be able to fill it with a stiff BC and avoid settling. If the dent is big, the other possibility is if you have same flavor cake leftover that you can cut a piece to fit and fill it in with a little BC.

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 8

I had this happen to. No settling. I just filled it with BC.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for the help! Once I get it unwrapped and see how the cake looks I will decide what to do.

=)

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 8

I agree. Filling it with thick/stiff buttercream will do.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 8

If it's on the bottom there's no problem, just make sure that surface is on the bottom of the stack/finished product & no one will ever know.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #8 of 8

You can make a cake "spackle" with trimmings and BC. Works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%