Removing Cornstarch From Fondant

Decorating By jennyshultz11 Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 4:43pm by madras650

jennyshultz11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennyshultz11 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #1 of 10

I use cornstarch on my work surface when rolling and cutting MMF. How do I clean up the fondant (remove the white powdery cornstarch) once it is on my cake?

9 replies
itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:34am
post #2 of 10

Hi
Just rub a tiny amount of shortening on the area, then gently rub off the shortening and it will look good as new!

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:46am
post #3 of 10

Or if you don't want the shiny look that shortening gives....You can just use a pastry brush to lightly brush it off. it will absorb whats left.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:20am
post #4 of 10

I use a pastry brush too, & if that doesn't quite do it a quick spray w/ vodka (I don't have an airbrush, I use a preval sprayer) thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:43am
post #5 of 10

The best way to get the cornstarch off is not to get it on there in the first place. Try rubbing a thin, thin film of veg shortening on your work surface and roll out the fondant on that.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 10

I started air brushing straight Vodka over the finished cake to get rid of any residue from pwd sugar or cornstarch etc. Saw it on Ace of Cakes one time. If you don't have an air brush you could try a spray bottle, or even those small travel spray bottles (like for hairspray), and put it on the finest mist you can. The vodka evaporates fast. HTH

jennyshultz11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennyshultz11 Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks so much. I don't have Vodka on hand so I will just try brushing it off. Thanks for the shortening tip, too.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 10

I agree with leahs. I have never used cornstarch OR powdered sugar. Shortening on the work surface works great!

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 10

i put vodka in a spray bottle and spray it on and wipe off any excess...works great

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhendry

I started air brushing straight Vodka over the finished cake to get rid of any residue from pwd sugar or cornstarch etc. Saw it on Ace of Cakes one time. If you don't have an air brush you could try a spray bottle, or even those small travel spray bottles (like for hairspray), and put it on the finest mist you can. The vodka evaporates fast. HTH

I do the same thing with the airbrush, works perfect

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%