Covering Boards

Decorating By leannrr Updated 30 May 2009 , 2:07am by caseyhayes

leannrr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannrr Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:46am
post #1 of 12

Can I use something other than fondant and silver/gold grease proof paper from Wilton to cover cake boards. Won't regular wrapping paper get soggy under the cake? I want to add some color to the boards...

11 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:25am
post #2 of 12

I personally wouldn't suggest you use wrapping paper because that isn't food safe.

FionaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FionaB Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 12

Yes I always use fondant to cover boards, I think it finishes the cake and of course it's safe too. You can always paint the fondant with edible colour pastes if you want something different.

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 12

Sometimes I use wrapping paper but cover it with clear contact paper

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 12

I have read other posts that some people wrap their boards in wrapping paper, but then cover the wrapping paper in cellophane. This is the stuff that Food Gift baskets are wrapped in to look presentable. You can get his at Michae's, Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby.

=)

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the info on using clear contact paper with wrapping paper. I'm working a cake project now and I'm stuck too as to what to cover my drum cake boards. I want 1 to be pink and 1 to be blue. Did not want to use color foil cake paper.
Hammy

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:34pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for asking this! I really wanted to know!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #8 of 12

Yes one can use *anything* to cover boards - fabric; wrapping paper; plastic tablecloths; freezer paper; aluminum foil, and the list goes on.

Now, the trick is to put the cake on a board the same size as the cake. Sometimes it works better to cover a (larger than normal) base board with (say) cloth, then elevate the cake a bit (like use 3 boards glued together, or a 1" piece of styro) before putting the cake on a plain covered board slightly larger than cake (so you can pipe boarder). Yes, it takes extra $$$ to use so many covered boards but when you want a nice, special presentation it is worth it.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 12

You can use anything you want to cover your presentation board. The key is for your cake not to sit on anything that is not edible. I usually use a cake circle under the cake and this is what sits on the board.

caseyhayes Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #10 of 12

What else other than cardboard can you put right under the cake. Something that's cheap and a little "heavier duty" than a wilton cake board? I've heard that other cake decorator's around my area use something different than cardboard. But I'm not about going to askicon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #11 of 12

Casey, you can use foam core board. You can buy it already cut into cake circles, or buy sheets of it and cut them to the sizes that you need. I usually buy the sheets at Hobby Lobby when they're on sale for $1 each. You have to wrap them though because who knows what they may have touched before you bought them. I wrap them with foil or plastic wrap.

caseyhayes Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #12 of 12

Okay, thanks! I know I sound like a moron but you never know unless you ask. I will definitely try this. I hate it when my cake boards buckle! It dosen't happen but every once in a while but argh... that's enough! Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%