Why Am I Like This???

Decorating By TamiAZ Updated 29 May 2009 , 12:08pm by michellesArt

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #1 of 19

So, I made a cake for a school function and it was a hit.. I got to school today and someone hits me up for a baptism cake. I tell her I have to check my calendar because I'm not sure what's going on that weekend. The truth is, I can't decide if I want to do it. Here's why... I don't charge enough and I'm scared to charge what my cakes are really worth??? WHY??? Why am I so worried about what people will say?? They either want it or they don't. Uugghhhh...

Does anyone have a policy where they won't do a cake for less than, let's say $50??

18 replies
mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #2 of 19

I totally understand you! I am the same way...it seems like I dont even want the cake business which is not the case but I am afraid because if i charge what I want to charge $3 a serving no one buys from me. Sorry I am of no help but I just wanted you to know that I feel exactly the same way you do...so you are not alone girl!

And having a minimum charge is a great idea...I mean Duff does it...yeah...it's $1000 but they got a minimum charge icon_wink.gif!

mariela_ms Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #3 of 19

hey btw... I was in Phoenix just last week for my job... I live about 3 hours from phoenix...

TamiAZ Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariela_ms

I totally understand you! I am the same way...it seems like I dont even want the cake business which is not the case but I am afraid because if i charge what I want to charge $3 a serving no one buys from me. Sorry I am of no help but I just wanted you to know that I feel exactly the same way you do...so you are not alone girl!

And having a minimum charge is a great idea...I mean Duff does it...yeah...it's $1000 but they got a minimum charge icon_wink.gif!

Are you kidding??? $1,000... He doesn't even do all the decorating.

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #5 of 19

TamiAZ I really sympathize with you. I'm exactly the same. But then I get to thinking that if people want a cake then they'll pay for it. I don't have a set price. I actually use Cake Boss and since I've been using it it's helped me with working prices out and not worrying about feeling bad for charging too much.

Just remember when we charge to little we're only cheating ourselves. I was once told that you want to make less cakes for more money rather than have a lot more work for a little.

Good luck. I say you ring around bakeries in your area and pretend your a customer (that's what I do) wanting to get a quote, give them the details of what this lady has asked you for and then work out a price similar to what they would charge.

Cheers
Mary

TamiAZ Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #6 of 19
Quote:

hey btw... I was in Phoenix just last week for my job... I live about 3 hours from phoenix...

Where in AZ are you?

mariela_ms Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #7 of 19

yup its on the Charm City Cakes website! Man...if I could get someone to pay the $3 per serving size imagine the $1000 minimum!

kwanghui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwanghui Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #8 of 19

Unless I have a really slow week, I don't bother with anything less than $50. With the exception of cookies/cupcakes, it's just so much bother to do less than that. For a LONG time I undercharged and hubby would always get so mad about it. I then came to the realization that people will pay you what you're worth but you have to put it out there. If they don't want to pay for it, there's always the grocery store! I have found that my customers truly appreciate what I do and they always tell me it's $$ well spent! You are worth it, don't undercut yourself icon_smile.gif

mariela_ms Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiAZ

Quote:

Where in AZ are you?

Yuma...well about 25 mins from yuma but I dont think you've heard of San Luis lol.... so we'll stick to Yuma! icon_biggrin.gif

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #10 of 19

You are not alone. I too get a little ansy when someone asks how much do I charge. If I tell them a minimum $3 per serving they run. I usually tell them a fondant decorated 8" round starts at $45. Then they can decide if my work is in their budget.

Just remind them that your prices are comparable to a good quality bakery cake and you can give them personal service.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:38am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiAZ

Quote:

Are you kidding??? $1,000... He doesn't even do all the decorating.

And a year ago Duff was only charging $500.00 for his base price. I bet in a year he will be even more expensive.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:01am
post #12 of 19

I've been decorating for 5 mths. The first couple of cakes I made, I would get nervous every time i quoted a price. I thought that if the customer thought my price was too high, they would walk away! Then one day, I quoted a customer $100 for a cake....a crazy thing happened...he didn't ask questions, he paid me the money and loved the cake!!!! From then on, I have lost that insecurity of not getting the order. I have lost only 2 orders, and it doesn't bother me at all! I have a good flow coming in so If I lose one, that just frees me up to spend time with my family!!!!

edit: I forgot to mention another thing....after doing a cake for a neighbor, I sat down and wrote a list of everything I used...every-single-thing...and how much it cost me. I realized that I didn't just give her a cake for free!....I PAID HER to make the cake!!!!!!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

I've been decorating for 5 mths. The first couple of cakes I made, I would get nervous every time i quoted a price. I thought that if the customer thought my price was too high, they would walk away! Then one day, I quoted a customer $100 for a cake....a crazy thing happened...he didn't ask questions, he paid me the money and loved the cake!!!! From then on, I have lost that insecurity of not getting the order. I have lost only 2 orders, and it doesn't bother me at all! I have a good flow coming in so If I lose one, that just frees me up to spend time with my family!!!!

edit: I forgot to mention another thing....after doing a cake for a neighbor, I sat down and wrote a list of everything I used...every-single-thing...and how much it cost me. I realized that I didn't just give her a cake for free!....I PAID HER to make the cake!!!!!!!!

You are a beautiful person, ceecee&beecee.

Hoooray for you!!!

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #14 of 19

lol...awww Thanks!!!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:04am
post #15 of 19

What are you afraid of? I mean, seriously ask yourself that question: What am I afraid of?

Afraid of them walking away? Big deal. That means you're not working your butt off to NOT make any profit on a cake for someone who wont' appreciate it.

Afraid of making them upset (with you?) Big deal. This is a woman thing .... we are taught to be "nice" and not hurt people's feeeeeeeeeelinnnnnnngs. Even if it hurts US to do it. Somewhere along the line women were taught that it's more important what OTHER poeple think. (God help us if we are teaching our daughters this!)

Afraid they will tell people you're expensive? Good!! High quality stuff IS expensive. "Some people can't afford me .... and that's OK!"

Afraid they will think you're arrogant and "uppity" for charging "so dang much" for "just a cake"? Big deal. I know the value of my time and talent. If THEY don't know it, it's their problem, not mine.

My smallest cake is the 11x15 that serves 35. My lowest price is $50 for a cake. Do some walk out when they hear that? Yep. Others hand me their cash and say "that's fine". BTW, I have a Kroger 2 minutes from me, a Walmart 3 minutes from me and a Sam's CLub 10 minutes from me. If they want a cheap cake, it's in easy reach.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:33am
post #16 of 19

Tami,
I've seen your work and holy cow girl, if you can't get at least $5 per serving, nobody can!! And that's for something minimal! I know 3 other decorators in our area who own shops (in Mesa) and who's fondant cakes start at $4.75 and up from there. And your cakes are equal if not better for sure!! And all of them have a minimum of at least $95.

Good luck!
KimAZ

Just a note to say I looked at your most recent cakes and those bows on top alone should be at least $25 each! Just remember the non edible Wilton bows that are similar are about $18 in stores.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:20am
post #17 of 19

you're not alone. i get very sick to my stomach when i have to tell someone how much my cake costs, like i get physically sick. i don't know why.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:49am
post #18 of 19

If you undercharge, isn't there a likelihood that you're going to get burned out and start to resent cakes? Charge what you're worth!! There are people who will pay it, and those that won't are just missing out. Bizarre recent incident about price...I recently had a guy order a cake for his daughter. He wasn't sure what he wanted for design, but he needs to serve 30. So he said...can I just give you $100 budget and you make whatever you can for that price? Oh yes sir, I can! (that's a huge sum for lil ol' me) Those people are out there...bake it, and they will come. icon_lol.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:08pm
post #19 of 19

hey tamiAZ can i get those prices in canadian?!?lol this is a problem with me and i want to be stronger like indy (i think i've gotten better). and though it's slow for me right but i'm okay with it. there are people who will pay what i'm charging and i'd take $$ over quantity any day (...now-before i'd accept what you'd pay)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%