Need Help With Wings Please

Decorating By mom2rascals Updated 29 May 2009 , 4:15pm by mom2rascals

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 11

I am dying to make this bakugan cake this weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make (and support) the wings?

I have 1/4 inch thick candy clay rolled out over a half styrofoam ball right now, but the darn things aren't drying! How long does it take for candy clay to dry - or does it dry? I need the wings to be stiff and solid, maybe I shouldn't have used candy clay.

I've never used candy clay before . . .

Please help! Thank you.
LL

10 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 11

if you want something to dry stiff and solid maybe you should try gumpaste?

mom2rascals Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 11

Will the candy clay eventually dry? if so, how long does it take . . . days?

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 11

i dont know i haven't used candy clay...maybe someone else can help with that one...

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 11

Candy clay doesn't dry, at least not the way you want it to. It's fat based. There's nothing to dry in it.

crystalina is right - use gumpaste.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mom2rascals Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #6 of 11

Any ideas on how to support the wings (gumpaste, I'm thinking now)?

I would still like to salvage the red candy clay that I have made. Has anyone tried covering a cake with it? How did it taste? Would you still have to use buttercream as a base for candy clay? Thanks.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 11

Ok first I would either use a mixture of GP and Fondant with a lot of tylose, that way it will harden faster. Second idea, just GP or just fondant, still lots of tylose. Third, if you have a food dehydrator, put your stuff in there propped the way you want it to look...set it in overnight, should be dry in time. If your trays aren't deep enough, just cut out the inner parts and keep the frame intact. I did that with 3 trays so I would get a deep area for larger items. You can always reorder trays.Fourth, you could cover a carved piece of styrofoam with a thinner layer of GP or Fondant or Candy Clay...less drying time. And last yes you can use candy clay just like fondant on cake, it actually rolls thinner and is more pliable(forgiving). And one more thing ...Breathe...it is gonna work out thumbs_up.gif

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 11

My first thought when reading your post was, "tylose".

Then I saw the picture.

I have no idea what that is! Apparently I don't watch that show, or they don't grow here in Texas, cause again, I have no idea what that is. icon_lol.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 11

If you stick the wings in the fridge for about a half hour, your candy clay will get firm enough that it will allow the wings to stand out. Make sure you have some kind of support inside like wire.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 11

they have it in most cake supplies stores, as it is also available at Global Sugar Art on the website:

Product ID #17057

Confectionary Arts International Tylose Gum Paste Powder. This products can be used in place of Gum Tragacanth in gumpaste in the exact same proportions. This will give you a gumpaste that is pure white in color and very easy to work with. Weight-2 ounces.

Tylose can be used with fondant to make a really quick transition to gumpaste. Add 2 -3 tsp of Tylose powder to 1lb of fondant. Dry humidity less Tylose - High humidity more Tylose. Knead it in and let it rest overnight before using.

While they recommend letting it rest overnight, for smaller jobs I just put it in and use it immediately, has worked fine.

mom2rascals Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you so much for all your ideas. I have some leftover fondant and some gum-tex. I'll try that for sure.

ski, could you please tell me if I need a layer of buttercream under the candy clay (just like with fondant)?

I was amazed at how easy it was to roll out and mold, much easier than fondant, in my opinion. And much easier to make! I hope it tastes alright with the darn good chocolate cake, but I'm used to people scraping off the fondant anyway (even homemade fondant).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%