What Filling Can I Use For A Fondant-Covered Cake?

Baking By emlashlee Updated 29 May 2009 , 4:43am by 2girliesmama

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 8

I am such a newbie! icon_smile.gif I am making a swimming pool cake for a 7-year-old's birthday. I am covering it with fondant, so I need help finding a filling recipe that would work well with chocolate cake and not need to be refrigerated. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

7 replies
claribelcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claribelcakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 8

How long will the cake be sitting out? I would stay away from anything that uses real cream in the filling. A chocolate swiss meringue buttercream would taste great and hold up very well though!

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 8

You could use a heat tolerant shortening based "buttercream". I like Indy Debbie's (water instead of milk). Just flavor it with extracts or lorrann flavors. If you are only going to have it out 12 hours or less you could use those bags of fillings you get at the cake supply store. Just keep your AC cranked up!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 8

Triple Chocolate Fudge Butter Cream

1 batch of IndyDebi's BC
8 oz. of melted bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup of cocoa powder (dutch processed)
4 tbsp. of Hershey's chocolate syrup

Warning: If there are any children in the vicinity BEWARE. They go NUTS over this stuff. Its my best seller.

emlashlee Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:36am
post #5 of 8

Oh, those ideas sound great! Thanks so much for the help! icon_smile.gif I guess I was wanting a filling that did not have to be refrigerated because I thought fondant cakes couldn't be refrigerated. Am I wrong? AND, if I use a milk/cream ingredient, how long can it be left out?

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:52am
post #6 of 8

You just want to stay away from custard and whipped cream type fillings. You can use cream and milk products in your buttercream with no problem, they can be left out for days. I like to mix my buttercream with ganache, curds or thickened fruit purees.

You can very successfully refrigerate fondant covered cakes. They will have some condensation on them as they come to room temperature but it won't cause any problems unless you wipe something across them as they are "wet", that will leave a mark.

emlashlee Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:58am
post #7 of 8

I really can't thank you all enough for your help! I truly appreciate it!

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:43am
post #8 of 8

Mousse type fillings should not be left out for over 4 hours. Any longer and you could develop some icky bacteria! after 10 years of food safety classes and nursing courses my motto is you can never be too careful. Better safe than sorry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%