Whats Best To 'paint' With????

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 28 May 2009 , 8:01pm by TexasSugar

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 7

I was just wondering what is the best thing to use to paint on fondant figures? Is there edible paint? Luster dust I'm just not sure what to use...I need to make max and ruby figurines.
TIA,
Ashley

6 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 7

I like to use Americolor gels... you can use them straight or thin them out with alcohol, if need be (although I rarely find that they need thinning, unless you are going for a watercolor effect).

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 7

dito to PinkZiab icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 7

Oh, those are going to be cute!

You can use Wilton colors if that's what you've got on hand. Thin it down with a little vodka or lemon extract first, if you need a lighter color.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 7

I only have access to the wilton ones thats all my Michaels carry and its too late to order.....do the gel paints dry okay?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 7

Any color you use will not really dry and you must be very carefull not to muck up your work. It can be frustrating if you handle your work alot as I do. Try thinking about what order to paint them in according to how(if) you need to hold them. Color worked into fondant will not come off on your hands. You can do both and that will really help getting those pastel colors smooth.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 7

If you ever decide to place an order for Americolors I'd pick up some of their airbrush colors. I love painting with them. They are already thinned down and dry pretty well. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%