Birthday Cake V. Wedding Cake - Price

Business By cheekymonkey06 Updated 30 May 2009 , 1:43pm by Sweet_Guys

cheekymonkey06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekymonkey06 Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 22

Do you charge differently for your birthday cakes v. wedding cakes? I have a request for a two tiered cake for a 3 year old's birthday party (6x3 and 10x4) with fondant and scroll piping on both. The calculation I come up with is around $62.50 for a cake that size, but that sounds high to me... I should mention I am REALLY new to this - this is only my third cake order.

21 replies
muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 22

No. There is no difference in my Wedding vs. Occasion cake pricing. At my shop anyway. Cake is cake. It all costs the same. icon_wink.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 22

most people dont charge differently, because cake is cake. and generally, most people just charge more the fancier it gets, regardless of the event.
your cake will feed a lot of people, 50 by wiltons wedding chart, 40 by the party one. so per serving, your price is actually a low one (well, depending where you are etc etc) - $1.24 or $1.55.
xx

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 22

I know of people who have a set price for common size cakes and then a per serving amount for wedding cakes. Example: $18 for a 6" round with basic design vs. $5/per serving for wedding cakes.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 22

I am just starting out too and the pricing is my BIGGEST struggle. I charge the same right now for serving sizes per cake but wedding cakes have more serving sizes so they would cost more per cake than a party cake of the same size...if that makes sense?icon_smile.gif...party serving size for me is 2x2x4 and wedding is 1x2x4 or there about.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 22

i have two prices, one for sheet cake (single layers, no torting, no filling) and then my "normal prices" for two layer. wedding, party, stacked, tiered, etc. The reason my sheet cakes are a little cheaper is because they require less time and supplies (i don't need a suport system. no filling, etc...). on both i charge extra depending on art work, time and stuff like that.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 22

Lisaa1996-
actually the cakes servings are different, not the same.

If you have a 6x6 square it will feed 9 2x2x2 (sheet), or 9 2x2x4 (2 layer), or 18 1x2x4 (2 layer)

most party cakes are one layer there for are based on the 2x2x2 serving
most wedding cakes are two layers and are based on a 1x2x4 serving

a 2x2x4 is a HUGE peice of cake that would be the same as a 4x4x2 peice of single layer sheet cake!

Melissa2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa2000 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 22

How do you guys figure pricing?? I have made some cakes and sold them but pretty much only charged for the supplies..

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 22

many people sell all cakes by the wilton wedding size, as that is a fair bit of cake. if your client wants bigger servings, they can buy more cake, and cut it differently themselves.

to figure out ur pricing, figure out the cost of al the materials, the little things you use like kitchen roll, gas to get to the shops, and then things like elctricity, gas and water you dont really think about. and then think about putting a value on your time - at least minimum wage, but probably more!!!!! and compare other bakeries doing similar cakes in your area. that should all help you get your price.
xx

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 22

oh.....thanks! Like I said...I'm new tooicon_smile.gif....please keep the tips and info coming!

cheekymonkey06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekymonkey06 Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #11 of 22

These tips are very helpful! Thank you! I just need to grow some confidence and charge a little more. People will pay, otherwise this website wouldn't exist, right?

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 22

I charge a flat serving rate, whether for wedding or any other occasion cake. If the client wants to have larger slices of cake for a birthday party, they'll just need to purchase more cake. This eliminates the "why do you charge different amounts?" question. The more complicated a cake is decorated is where I'll start charging extra for things. As of now I don't have a system in place that lays out what is "more complicated" in black and white. I need to work on that.

As to what you said, cheekymonkey, about people paying, yes they will. However, in my experience (and lots of people will disagree with me) it's better to start out too low than too high. You can raise your prices eventually, after you've built a solid customer base, but if you start out too high, you won't get people to come to you. Remember, the bakeries in your area already have a steady customer base. You have to build yours.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #13 of 22

I charge the same per serving no matter what the cake is used for wedding, birthday, dinner.)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:25am
post #14 of 22

call it wedding, call it birthday, call it kiss-my-butt-at-8th-and-Main .... I don't really care.

It says right on my website: If it looks like a wedding cake, then it's priced like a wedding cake.

Which means it's all one price no matter what you call it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:05am
post #15 of 22

I have price points for single cakes (ie 10" round) and then a base price for serving for anything tiered. That keeps the everyday bday cakes more affordable.

KoryAK Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:10am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeCake07

Lisaa1996-
actually the cakes servings are different, not the same.

If you have a 6x6 square it will feed 9 2x2x2 (sheet), or 9 2x2x4 (2 layer), or 18 1x2x4 (2 layer)

most party cakes are one layer there for are based on the 2x2x2 serving
most wedding cakes are two layers and are based on a 1x2x4 serving

a 2x2x4 is a HUGE peice of cake that would be the same as a 4x4x2 peice of single layer sheet cake!

oops 1x2x4 and 2x2x2 are the same volume icon_smile.gif (8 cubic inches, the standard wedding serving according to Wilton)

2x2x3 (or however you like to divvy it up) is 12 cubic inches which is the standard party serving.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:26am
post #17 of 22

There are really sound reasons WHY a wedding cake can cost more per serving than a party cake.

This is what a bride gets with my wedding cake price:

1. Private consultation and a tasting and design

2. I am available to answer any questions and help in any way that I can.

3. Stacked cake

4. Delivery and set up at the venue

5. Meet with bride representative to get back stress free

Party cake is slightly less because:

1. I do not do a tasting or private consultation. Design is strictly over the internet/phone.

2. I will answer questions.

3. Stacked cake but not on stress free

4. No delivery or set up

5. No meeting after for equipment.

There is less time involved in a party cake so they do get a slightly lower price but if someone wants a wedding cake design that is 3 tiers or smaller and are going to pick it up more power to them. I will do it IF I don't have a wedding cake!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:36am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

call it wedding, call it birthday, call it kiss-my-butt-at-8th-and-Main .... I don't really care.

It says right on my website: If it looks like a wedding cake, then it's priced like a wedding cake.

Which means it's all one price no matter what you call it.

ARGREED!!!!!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:38am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I have price points for single cakes (ie 10" round) and then a base price for serving for anything tiered. That keeps the everyday bday cakes more affordable.

So it costs you less to bake them also?

I understand that a tiered cake has supports, but I charge extra for that.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #20 of 22

My serving prices are "tiered" based on construction of the cake:
1 layer (sheet)
2 layer (with filling)
2 layer but tiered
Torted & Tiered (my "wedding cake)

Like KoryAK, this keeps everyday cakes more affordable and lets me charge more for wedding cakes.

I quote people a set price for "party" cakes giving them the range of servings depending on size but the price is based on the 1X2X4 size.

Weddings I quote them the price per serving

KoryAK Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:37pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

So it costs you less to bake them also?

I understand that a tiered cake has supports, but I charge extra for that.

I don't charge extra for the supports (as a separate line item anyway) but they get all the bonuses as a pp indicated, consults, tasting, delivery, lots more of my time, etc... I have an open shop so the lights are on and cakes are being produced whether there are special orders or not. Keeping the prices a little lower (I don't think even ppl in AK would pay $72.50 for a 10 serving 8x2" round plainly decorated) - and I do still have a $75 minimum order - keeps the orders flowing.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #22 of 22

Like Debi said, cake is cake.

However, you could always bake half as much cake by making 2" tiers rather than 4" tiers and charge half as much.

We price cakes for 2" tiers, 3" tiers, and 4" tiers. For weddings, we're following the traditional 4" method. But, then again, what's traditional anymore?! LOL

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%